My Skyway Interview – 1/18/06

ClearedForOption

Psychiatric Help 5¢
Hey everyone… Skyway airlines is hiring like crazy!!! They are losing pilots to attrition and people moving to bigger and better things. Send them an application…

First of all, I should say that I got the job. (Yippee!!! - as long as I pass the Whiz-Quiz and my background check) They gave me a conditional offer of employment about 5 minutes after my interview. This way I can get my affairs in order to move back to the Midwest from California as quickly as possible. I think I was the only one who got the quick offer… but I am not sure as I was last and didn’t see any of the other candidates. (I guess if there are a bunch of them in my initial class then they got the offers too)

Ok… so my story begins a few days ago. I was given a phone interview by their HR person Sue Kelly. She asked me the basics on the phone… it was funny because at first I thought it was US Airways calling me about the bag that they lost of mine over Christmas. Then I figured out what she was calling about and we shared a good laugh. They will ask you about your past, any DWI’s – DUI’s and etc., it’s a quick phone interview to weed out people who don’t seem excited about the position, I guess. The rule of thumb is to be yourself and let them know that Skyway is your #1 choice. (Company loyality is very important to a lot of people at Midwest Connect)

To confirm the interview I was sent the following email:

Dear Richard:

This message is to confirm the invitation we extended you to participate in
Skyway Airlines, Inc., d/b/a Midwest Connect pilot interview process on
Thursday, January 18, beginning at 9:00 a.m. Please note that space
available transportation is only available on Midwest Connect and Midwest
Airlines. Your flight arrangements (if applicable) are below.

On the morning of your interview, promptly meet at the Skyway Hangar, at
9:00 a.m., located at 401 E Layton Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53207. Please bring
the following items to the interview:

FCC (if available)
Passport (if available)
DD214 (if applicable)
Pilot Certificates
First Class Medical Certificate
Three updated copies of your resume
Completed application (one will be provided for completion)
Log Books

We will begin the morning with a pilot test, which will take about 1 hour.
We will then begin face-to-face interviews pending successful completion of
the test. You will also be given an opportunity to complete an employment
application. Please note when completing the "Work and Employment History"
section of the application that the FAA requires all candidates to account
for the past 10 years.

The only other thing that I would have brought is letters of recommendation. (I forgot mine… they were sitting on my desk at home) And after the fact, if you are from far away and they decide to process your background right away you should bring a copy of your college degree. The actual diploma, that is. (They want a copy for your employee file, I guess…)

So, make sure that you have everything on the list that you can. (i.e. if you can’t follow the simple directions we sent to you in an email then how can we trust you with 19 PAX) What will also save you time is to complete and type out a 10 year background history on yourself – like a resume. Everyone will ask for it (FAA mandated) and it will be handy. Skyway also asked for the addresses of the places I lived for the last 10 years… that was a shocker. You should have some notes on that also so that you can copy it on to your application. Other than that, easiest application ever. Only took me 30 minutes and 3 hand cramps to fill it out.

Ok… so you’ve made it to the building. It goes without saying to try and get here early…

1st thing was the dreaded pilot test – I have no idea how I did, but I must have passed as I was offered a job. The “interviews website” tells everyone that you need an 80% to pass. This was the most confusing test I have ever taken in my aviation career. It was a short answer test – a few multiple choice, where you write in your answer on the answersheet – and you have to draw some holds, VOR’s and, etc. You don’t know how much information you have to give in your asnwers, what’s too much information and what’s too little. They only give you a small space to write things out… it was just bizarre. I stuck to the “short and sweet” answers. This way I wouldn’t dig myself a hole in case they talked about the written in the oral interview. (But, they didn’t even bring it out) You also can’t just study one thing and be good to go – because you have no idea what they are going to really ask. They don’t use a pre-determined question bank. No ATP, IFR, or Commercial written questions… they made all of them up whole hog. It was interesting, though. I’m going to be a little vague (because I don’t really remember any specific questions) because it’s better to over prepare then under prepare and look foolish.

Again there appeared to be NO questions from the ATP written. (or any other FAA test)

Most of the test consisted of questions on Jepp plates. (over 50% on interpreting information) Basic IFR rules. Basic commercial rules. Practical things that you need to know to complete a flight.

Here’s how to study for it…

1.) Get the King Jepp review DVD’s – both of them – and watch them.
2.) Look back at your basic IFR notes. (Alternates, Holds, Lost Comm, etc.)
3.) Review DME arcs specifically… they fly a few and always seem to ask about them. (I haven’t flown a DME arc in 2 years at least… didn’t review them and was stammering at my interview)
4.) Know your abbreviations and what they mean. (MOCA, MEA, HAT, etc…)
5.) Then (and this is what I do) go to the “interviews” website and go through EVERY… and I stress EVERY…. Interview and write down in a notebook the questions the candidates were asked, HR and all.

It should look something like this to start…

Why Skyway?
Why me?
How do you know you will get through training?
Previous experiences, Failed Checkrides?
ATC Roleplaying…
Finger Fly Approach.
Basic IFR Questions… HAT, MOCA
What are the Alternate Minimums?
What holds the landing gear up on (insert TWIN here) {and other ME systems…}

And just go through every interview and write them out in a notebook in one color ink. Then, when you are all through (and there will be some duplicates, but you’ll end up seeing the same questions over and over again that you can just skip ones you’ve written down before) take a pen with different color ink and write a brief answer.
Like this: Why Skyway? (High quality training, quick upgrades, good pilot group – good people)

This way you can review the things they probably will as and have a “stock” answer in mind so you don’t have any surprises when you do go into the interrogation chamber. They did not even ask me one question that I did not see in one form or another on the “interviews” site.

Everything that was on the written test was either mentioned or alluded to on the other “interviews” site. It was just hidden in about 70 interview experiences.

So, they give you approx. 1 hr for the test. It takes the full hour and there are some seriously f’d up questions on there. There was one question, that wasn’t a question. Myself and another candidate talked about it afterwards and neither of us had any idea what on earth they might have been asking. I took a guess… and then forgot to ask about it in the oral.

After the test the procedure is that people are pulled out of the room for one on one interviews. I prepared like crazy… having talked to a future 328 check airman that already works here he game me the skinny about what they like to talk about.

One word: JEPPESSEN
The Jepp is #1 – know those plates. (Really, watch the King videos, and I know that they are BORING!!!! – but they are the best review on the minutia of the Jepps)

Know how to brief an approach… (Here’s the guide I wrote up 4 yrs. Ago that was taught to me by the same Skyway pilot) I’m putting it here because he probably taught me the company preferred method of briefing.

Essentials of an Approach Briefing
(Order for Jeppesen Aeronautical Charts)
1.) City? Type of Approach? Runway?
2.) Chart Number? Chart Effective Date?
3.) Review/Set Comm Freqs… (ATIS, Approach, Tower)
Review/Set Frequencies… (Localizer, VOR, NDB)
Review/Set Course… (OBS, ADF)
4.) Altitudes…
Top of Approach? Step Down Altitudes? Top of Glideslope?
Decision Height? Decision Height Altitude Above Field?
Airport Elevation? Touchdown Zone Elevation?
5.) Review MSA Restrictions…
6.) Describe Missed Approach Procedure.
7.) Review Weather Minimums…
RVR and DH (current WX, A/C, and Apt. NOTAMS)
8.) Review and Describe Pictorial Approach… Point out Terrain Limitations

As for Technical stuff…

Know the systems on the twin you have the most time in. (and they don’t usually ask questions they don’t know the answers to so don’t try and BS them)
They love aerodynamics… luckily I didn’t get any questions, because I suck at aerodynamics, but know your Vmc stuff and Engine Out Aerodynamics. (See the “other” site for typical questions others got)

The biggest thing is to relax. (Easier said than done – I thought I was going to puke a few times while waiting for my interview – I didn’t think I was prepared enough and was crazy nervous) Be yourself. They want to see someone that they can stand to be around for a four-day trip. They assume you can already fly as there is no sim eval. Go in there, look everyone in the eye, and tell your stories as best as you can. I think I spent more time talking about meeting Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford), about sharing a bed with a cheap client, and getting puked on by a student then I did on the finger flying or the tech. (or maybe I was the last interview of the day and they wanted to go to lunch… so you should prepare for the worst) It was a good interview – and it’s always good to go in overprepared.

They make it easy for you. They want to hire you or they wouldn’t have brought you in so when you walk in the door it’s your job to lose. It looks like a great place to work and I am looking forward to some nice flying in some crazy off the wall places in the Midwest. And, hopefully by the next NetworkJC I’ll be able to walk in some resumes.

Well, I guess that’s it… any questions?

Congrats on the job! I suppose I wouldn't mind flying for Skyway when the time comes (love the Midwest). Did you get the 1900? Did they mention anything about how it's going to work when they are retired (I don't mean to bring it up if it is a sore subject, I'm just curious)?

First of all, I should say that I got the job. (Yippee!!! - as long as I pass the Whiz-Quiz and my background check) They gave me a conditional offer of employment about 5 minutes after my interview. ......

Congrats on the job. Must have been that outstanding Interview Prep at NJC.... :)

Congrats!!

One word of advice for a new FO--always check the date on the manifest, especially around new year's, as people tend to write down the previous year.

Congrats bro!

Remember any specific names from the interview process? I'm just curious if some of the guys that were employees during my stay at Skyway are still there...

Wait.... were you the one that we did the prep for at the Bellagio (or how ever it is spelled)?

Either way, congrats on making it to the big time.

What type of travel deals are employees able to take advantage of? Are they limited to domestic flights on Midwest or can they ride along on other carriers to include international travel?

Congrats! I just finished the sim on Friday. Skyway is a good company if you like smaller airlines. There are good possibilities to move up, because of industry movement, and hopefully get some good turbine PIC.

Again congratulations, if you need any info or just want to talk to someone who's just gone through "it" and by "it" I mean training, send me a PM and I'll get back to you.

OH- and, there's a possibility they'll want to trust you with 32 pax right off the bat. You just never know...;)

Hi All... Haven't checked my own post in a couple of days and wow, lots of questions... let me try to answer them all...

what were your times?

My resume says: 1133 TTL / 103 Multi. - I've flown about 8 hrs. since the interview - so call it 1140 total.

Did you get the 1900? Did they mention anything about how it's going to work when they are retired (I don't mean to bring it up if it is a sore subject, I'm just curious)?

I was told that my class is being trained in the 1900. No word yet on what the plans are for retiring the Beechcraft there. Who knows, though... In the past they have trained people right into the 328. I figure I won't know anything till the 1st day of class. (Sure, I have the SJS sometimes, but the upgrade times in the 1900 are real quick @ Skyway because people are moving up and out)

Congrats on the job. Must have been that outstanding Interview Prep at NJC.... :)

Actually, yes. And the experience I had interviewing at Colgan Air. Hopefully I can help out at the next NJC because I've just been through the process. So, anyone out there reading this, you should come to the next NJC and participate in the mock interviews... It will help you land your first job!!!

Congrats bro!

Remember any specific names from the interview process? I'm just curious if some of the guys that were employees during my stay at Skyway are still there...

Thanks Doug... it was so quick that everyone's names just shot right through me. I know George V. is still the chief pilot. (and he wasn't at the interview saving me from a motherload of multi-engine aerodynamics questions that I spent 4 days studying up for) It was the HR rep, a check airman, and a 1900 Capt.

Wait.... were you the one that we did the prep for at the Bellagio (or how ever it is spelled)?

Either way, congrats on making it to the big time.

That is correct... and thanks again for the prep.

What type of travel deals are employees able to take advantage of? Are they limited to domestic flights on Midwest or can they ride along on other carriers to include international travel?

Not sure on this one, I'm sure that they will cover it during Indoc. I know that you can Nonrev anywhere on ME where they fly...they probably have ID90 type deals set up with other carriers. Although, don't quote me on this...

Congrats MAN!!!!! Way to go!

Keep us updated on your training!

Thanks Tracy... and thanks again for the prep this past Oct. It was what helped me land the job.

I guess that's it for now... thanks again to everyone here that helped me out with the prep. (and for getting my foot in the door so I could have the opportunity to move on to the big leagues)

Back