My situation looking for advice

ATPhopefull

Ok so I am 20 yrs. old and a sophmore in college, I have my PPL with about 82 hours and have just started my Multi-engine rating (have about 4 hours). I have been looking through ATP's site and am really interested in the career pilot program but I see there are two options. One being from zero on up and the other from 85 hrs. and up for people with there PPl's already. My question is, would they still let you into the program if you already had your multi rating because thats built into their program already? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Call and ask, but I believe they'll just add the time you would have spent doing the multi into your timebuilding. They don't charge less because you've already got the ticket.

Call em.

ATP will take with you with your private multi. When I was in BWG we had a guy come on that already had his instrument. You will still get the time you are paying for; they may just give you a little more XC time when you get to that phase.

I had a great experience with ATP and you will get everything you pay for.

Ok so I am 20 yrs. old and a sophmore in college, I have my PPL with about 82 hours and have just started my Multi-engine rating (have about 4 hours). I have been looking through ATP's site and am really interested in the career pilot program but I see there are two options. One being from zero on up and the other from 85 hrs. and up for people with there PPl's already. My question is, would they still let you into the program if you already had your multi rating because thats built into their program already? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

They'll let you in the program because it does them no good to turn away business. That does not mean that they are going to do you any favors. They are in business to make money for themselves, not save money for you. Already having a PPL and ME rating, I find it hard to believe you will be saving anything by going there.

My advice is to focus on college, flight train at your local FBO in the summers, and by the time you graduate you will be in position to start your flying career.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I will most likely be giving them a call within the next couple of days to see whats up.

My advice is to focus on college, flight train at your local FBO in the summers, and by the time you graduate you will be in position to start your flying career.
:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

College is very important.

So I guess another big question I have is what type of training is better when airlines look at an application? A person who was surrounded by non-stop flying at a place like ATP, or someone who did their training at a local FBO at a decent but slower pace?

So I guess another big question I have is what type of training is better when airlines look at an application? A person who was surrounded by non-stop flying at a place like ATP, or someone who did their training at a local FBO at a decent but slower pace?
Nobody has ever asked me in an interview, via e-mails, or anything else, where I received my training when I was applying for jobs. Yes, they have the information on the application, but I firmly believe nobody cares where you train, for the most part, and the sentiment is echoed by many actually hiring pilots. Now, once I finally received jobs and was in training, I was teased for going to "The Harvard of the Skies" when I started my freight dawg journey, but that's another story!!:p

Get your training at whatever place offers you the best bang for your buck. You don't need to be done in 90 days...you're not going anywhere with the economy like it is anyways. Enjoy the ride up, and get as much valuable experience as you can on your way up. This means CFI'ing, or whatever low time job you can find and build quality PIC time. Shortcuts do not help in the maturation process of aviators!!!

They don't care, regardless of what ATP, or anyone else's website says. A few things to consider are:

1. Can you qualify for a loan of that amount? It has been very difficult for our students to get a Sallie Mae loan, the same type of loan ATP does. They may have other options, but check into it first.

2. What is your interest rate? Do you really want a 700/month payment over your head? Keep in mind that the regional job market is dismal right now, and even if they were hiring, first year regional pay is pretty low.

3. Do you really need to get done in 3 months? See above about the job market.

If money/credit isn't a problem, ATP seems to be a nice operation. I fly out of an airport that they are based at. Their planes always look like they are in good shape.

College is very important.
An excellent statement...

That being said... I know of lot's of folks that went through the program during the summer break and then instructed part time through the rest of their college career. This gave them an excellent headstart on others that were just finishing college and starting this or any other training program.

Something to consider anyway.

Bob

ATP will take with you with your private multi. When I was in BWG we had a guy come on that already had his instrument. You will still get the time you are paying for; they may just give you a little more XC time when you get to that phase.

I had a great experience with ATP and you will get everything you pay for.

Yes. I went in with the instrument and they made up for it with X/C time.

I really enjoyed my time at ATP and met some great guys that I still keep in touch with.

ATP will take you no matter what. All they want is your money. Once you pay up all you are to them is a number...

Are you from Portland Oregon or Maine? Are you looking to fly out of Portland locally?

Great information everyone and thanks again for all the help and advice.

Jux-- I am from Portland, OR and do my flying in a little town outside of it.

Where at? HIO, UAO, TTD? Which ATP location are you looking at?

K1S4, its a little town called Scappoose. Though I have flown out of HIO though pretty nice over there.

I'm thinking of either the phoenix site or las vegas, as those are among the closest and look somewhat appealing to me...

K1S4, its a little town called Scappoose. Though I have flown out of HIO though pretty nice over there.

Funny little airport....we burned in and out of there a few times when I was civvie flying out there 5 or 6 years ago. It's a great area to learn to fly in.....lots of controlled and uncontrolled airspace, not overly congested, good mix of weather, even a bit of mountain flying. :rawk:

Funny little airport....we burned in and out of there a few times when I was civvie flying out there 5 or 6 years ago. It's a great area to learn to fly in.....lots of controlled and uncontrolled airspace, not overly congested, good mix of weather, even a bit of mountain flying. :rawk:

Oh man, how things have changed. I fly out of HIO, and its crazy how busy it has become within the last few years. The flying around here however is fantastic (with the exception of a few very close calls.)

Ah, Scappoose...fun memories of that airport--on my long cross-country for my instrument rating the plane's transponder died and we ended up spending a few hours on the ground getting Seattle Center to let us back into the Mode C veil and trying to figure out if the rest of the electrical system was getting ready to die.

Back