My pre-ATC trying to get in Saga

dalecar

First off, Hello and Hi to all. I don't post here often. However, I felt the need to. Hopefully my story can help others out and enlighten some others on the trials and tribulations of applying to be an ATC. (I apologize for the length)

First I applied with PUBNAT4 in May of 2008. PUBNAT5 in June of 2008 and finally PUBNAT6 in July of 2008.

I received an email to take the AT-SAT in September of 2008 for PUBNAT4. At this time in my life everything was "ehhh" so I really wasn't motivated at all to take the test plus I was working on a business that I had just started. I took forever to schedule my test. I had a friend that was in the academy at the time and he had the green test book and CD at home. So I couldn't get it. I decided to order it. It got here the day before the test. So, with that and not being motivated to take the test I just canceled...Later about a week after I was to take the test the entire US economy started sinking. RAPIDLY and people started losing jobs and everyone stopped spending money. So there goes my business.

In early December, I get a email to take the test in mid-January. Things on my end are looking up yet the world looks bleak, so I agree to take the test. My friend is back and at his facility. He LOVES it (he should be the official ambassador for ATC and the FAA). He making decent money. I go out of town for Christmas and finally decide to read the green book. In the first couple of pages it says the average salary is $165K. I'm sold, even though my friend told me (I just thought he was be a normal friend and hyping things up).

I'm researching the position and studying ALL THE TIME. I begin to actually like the thought of the job, I begin to LOVE the thought of the job. I take the test on January 16 (I think). They tell us we will get the results back in about 7 business days. I check ASAP everyday and get it in 3. (that was the quickest thing in this entire process). The test was pretty easy and straight forward. The CD helps and gets you ready tremendously. The book is worthless in regards to the test but very informative about the job. Anyway, I score WQ. Apparently, according to SM and JC, that is all that matters.

In my studying and researching for the test and position I find JC, then SM. What a relief and great find. All the information you'll ever need.

I find out from the websites that the panel is in March. Also, my friend told me because his boss told him. (inside information, you'll find out that EVERYONE has a friend telling them something. But, I actually trusted and trusts mine because he is in a GREAT location. And he now we have a GREAT friend in a great position). I think around March 24 is when people started getting the Geo Pref emails. I get mine and select my two states. The panels are over and I get word I am selected for my first choice facility (people in great places can do great things. Go meet someone, they gives tours all the time and want them actually).

I believe around late May is when people started to get emails they were selected. Although I was told, I am getting nervous because A WEEK goes by with out me getting an email. I'm getting real nervous, I really want this job and think it might actually be the perfect job for me. I get the email.

I'm not invited for a PEPC, I have to go the tradition route. I interview in early June. I do the physical, drug test and paper work thing. Man was that something. They want to know my entire life history. I was shocked and taken back. I am having problems scheduling my MMPI test. I never receive an email. However, I finally get scheduled and am ready to take the test then its canceled because everyone will be at a PEPC. I schedule for the next week. It is canceled again. I schedule it for the next week. I take it. It is such an easy test. How can anyone ever fail this? They ask you things like "Is someone trying to take over your brain?" AAAHAHAHAHAHA. (weeks later I find out I didn't pass) This was all in June.

I try to get myself ready to go. Get my clothes together, all my stuff. I'm just about ready. In early August I get a call from someone at the FAA. I'm getting excited, I'm about to go to OKC. They tell me I didn't pass the MMPI. What in the world? How can that be? I am told to call someone to reschedule with a psychologist. A Psychologist? What, but I'm not crazy. So, I do. I call and call and call. But the psychologist won't pick up. I finally get a call back saying I'm sorry I was out of town. I say Cool, you're back now I want to come in tomorrow for a MMPI test. She says alright but not so fast. I'm going back out of town for 4 weeks. WTF!!!! I schedule to take it in mid to late September. Man, I am stressed. Am I crazy? What happened? How didn't I pass? I'm supposed to be in OKC right now.

JC and SM tell me that people from PUBNAT4 are getting dates to go. I canceled my test in September of 2008 that was PUBNAT4. Oh God why?

I retake my MMPI. I go in all friendly with a permanent smile on my face. (she must think I'm crazy because I'm just smiling and giggling even if she says Hello. But, I want to come off as nice and friendly and normal and sane as possible.) She informs me before taking the test that I didn't pass because I tried to paint myself as too good. Too good? Are you kidding me? That is why I am being held up because your test thinks I'm too good. Man, what a disappointment. But I continue to smile. I take the test and another shorter test with 5 different answers and not just true or false. Same type of questions. I finish. She says I'm sending this off tomorrow. (from being on here and researching the MMPI test I have learned this about the test and the FAA. BE YOURSELF. THEY ARE LOOKING FOR YOU TO NOT BE PERFECT. JUST ANSWER NORMALLY AND TRUTHFULLY. THEY ACTUALLY WANT FOR YOU TO BE REAL AND HAVE PROBLEMS. DON'T TRY TO ANSWER WHAT YOU THINK THEY WANT TO HEAR. ANSWER TRUTHFULLY AND SHOW SOME FLAWS. DO NOT BE PERFECT)

I call the medical office two days later to see if they got it. They did. They tell me to call back in two weeks. I do. Nothing. I call back in 3, nothing. So, I am getting VERY upset and nervous. After all of my research and waiting and talking to my friend I REALLY REALLY REALLY want this job. So finally I get a call saying I passed.

Now, I'm ALL CLEAR and just waiting on a class date.

Again sorry for the length but this is a long process, I had to get it all in there. Good luck to all. I don't post much but I'm on here just about everyday. If you have any questions just ask. But I'm sure you can find it on here somewhere.

Congrats in getting past the MMPI hurdle... a lot of people answer with what they think the FAA wants to hear... big mistake. Glad you are passing on the advice, anyone who answers "I never get angry" is lying. LOL :)

man I'm glad I passed the MMPI on the first take - it sounds like getting the test rescheduled is a nightmare

I'm kind of amused that you posted the same exact thing both here and on SM... but understand that sometimes, you just gotta vent. I think I'm at 16-18 months now myself.

Look this sucks and all, but your experience is totally normal. I'm a little confused because if you really were researching non stop you would have foreseen these issues. I'm also confused as to why you choose to make a new thread instead of posting this in the thread for those who failed the MMPI. There's a lot of good info there.

http://forums.jetcareers.com/applic...efs-announcements/78781-failed-mmpi-pepc.html

Sorry to jump all over you about this, but your attitude makes me pretty nervous. Waiting is lame, but if you were here reading our posts, then there was no reason for you to get all stressed and freaked out.

Ya... sounds pretty normal. Just be glad you passed your physical. I had High Blood pressure do to "white coat" syndrome and They thought I had a kidney disease. I had to use almost $1000 dollars of my own money because I currently don't have health insurance to go to a doctor multiple times, take blood tests, pee in Gallon jugs, take daily blood pressure readings just to find out that I'm in perfect health and that I was just a bit nervous when getting my BP taken and I don't have anything wrong with my kidneys. This put me back 3 or 4 months and because of that, my facility filled up, and I was told I'd either have to transfer to another facility or wait til fiscal yr 11. I took the transfer and it was to Grand Canyon Airport... I'm hearing its one of the most remote places and people get out of there as soon as possible. Along with that I still haven't recieved a FOL and I was pubnat 2. So by my official estimate I am at 18 months in this entire process. :) I was playing golf this morning and I realized that the worst part isn't that I'm waiting... it's that I'm not moving forward with my life while I'm waiting. It totally put me into a holding pattern where I'm just working my dead end job and if for some reason things don't work out with this whole process I will have wasted 2 years of my life. I could have finished college by now... But.. I'm positive and believe that my time is coming really soon!

I thought you had to have a college degree to apply? and like three years full time work experience... this is the whole reason I havent applied yet.. have I been waiting for nothing? i have the degree but only 2 years full time work experience!

nope you dont need a degree just 3 years worth of experience i believe whether it is 2 years of college and 1 year of full time work...or whatever

Yes...you can use college and work combined to meet the experience requirements.

Again...I don't want to be jumping on people, but if you can't read the application...you probably shouldn't apply

Yes...you can use college and work combined to meet the experience requirements.

Again...I don't want to be jumping on people, but if you can't read the application...you probably shouldn't apply

What's with all the negative posts? If I remember correctly you didn't even apply, it was your husband that applied? I just don't see the point in some of your posts..

I read the application once and didnt care to read it close because I have a very good paying job. Just recently I have thought about ATC but I just havent had time between flying and working to really study so I figured I would ask a question of people who would know. That what this website is for. Maybe you should remember that!

Congrats on getting a class date!

Jbroz04,

As for the college/work experience thing, the FAA wants four years of college OR three years of full time work experience OR college/work experience combined amounting to three years total. Notice it says four years of college coursework, NOT a college degree. Also, part time work can be counted, but it counts as half of full time work or college experience. So five years of part-time work counts as 2.5 years of work experience for ATC.

So let me get this right.. if you have three years of college experience plus two years of part time experience you would qualify?

Yes...you would qualify.

I'm not saying these things because these guys are my competition or anything. I'm saying them because I fly.

So let me get this right.. if you have three years of college experience plus two years of part time experience you would qualify?

Not only would you qualify, but your flight ratings would also help your case in getting hired. If (big if) there is a PUBNAT 9, then go ahead and apply.

Not only would you qualify, but your flight ratings would also help your case in getting hired. If (big if) there is a PUBNAT 9, then go ahead and apply.

It seems like this thread is getting hijacked, I'm sorry, but I wanted to question this. For the flight ratings to help, those probably wouldn't come into play until the PEPC would they? Or is there any way they would help you from the start?

The FAA looks at the experience on your application - the flight ratings MAY (and probably are) be considered by them. I don't know the specifics.

You mean to tell me I just read all that to find out you made it into the Faa...

um congrats.

Sorry to be so negative..... but I'm the kind of guy that enjoys watching Maury and finding out that "you are not the Babies daddy" only to see the train wreck of a woman cry.....:rotfl:

for real though...good luck:beer:

Flight ratings ESPECIALLY if you are instrument rated give you a boost in qualifying. Understanding flight will also help you in OKC as well (at least through basics). Just like when you take the AT-SAT your military experiences give you an automatic point added.

Sorry for your troubles. The hiring process can be a bugger! My husband went to the PEPC but had to get special medical clearance that was a pain in the BUTT! Took us from June 2007 until end of Dec. 2008 to get to OKC. The longest wait was waiting for an invite to a PEPC...that took until July of 2008!

Once you leave OKC you are still in training and get to relearn everything you learned in OKC. It is a long process but for a job you will love, it is worth it. My husband loves his career now and that makes a HUGE difference!

WoH - seems a bit harsh don't you think? Honestly the way the application is worded can cause some confusion! Just cause they misunderstood that in NO way indicates that they would be a good or bad controller!!

Not to further highjack this thread, but telling an applicant that his/her flight ratings will help is a little misleading. There have been several people who scored in the 90's, had all their ratings, and were still passed over.

Apparently, flight rating aren't too big of a deal until you are in your facility and requesting transfers.

Back