My Plan for an Aviation Career

The correct answer is "when you're ready" but no one really knows, so I would agree with the other poster - no sex until college. I waited until then and it worked out pretty well for me.

But above all else, treat women with the respect they deserve. You may not hit a home run every time you step up to bat, but it'll definitely extend your stay in the majors.

Thanks for the other, more overlooked advice. :nana2:

I would suggest a bit more loose of a plan. Focus on the task before you and not so much on subsequent goals. I find that people that are looking too far ahead are unable to enjoy what they are doing because it isn't "good enough". Because of that a lot of people lose the love for flying when it becomes a job.

As Murdoughnut stated: 1. learn to fly. 2 Don't kill yourself. 3. Don't kill anybody else.

After that things will fall into place if you are focusing on being a qualified pilot, not just racing to the next step in your career.

The only thing that stays the same in this business is that everything changes.

Okay lets not turn this into a sex education thread! That's sooo not what he's asking about.

Your plan sounds pretty solid, just keep an open mind on other options for getting flight hours. Hell, you may decide to fly freight and go corporate.

The wanting to get a "decent number of hours" is a good idea, but the thing is "what is a decent amount of hours" will change.

Oh - and in terms of piloting advice since you seem to be a good kid (i.e., one who recognizes the importance of advice) - here is what Murdoughnut tells every student pilot he meets...

1) 9 out of 10 general aviation accidents are caused by people flying into weather they shouldn't, or getting too slow on climb out and approach. Never do either and you reduce your chances of dying in an airplane by 90%.

2) Airplanes are like wild animals - not inherently dangerous, just deserving of respect. Always remember that they are more powerful than you - and in the rare instance that they're not, mother nature will pick up the slack.

3) There are a lot of idiots with pilot's licenses. Unfortunately most of them spend their time hanging around airports telling you what you should and shouldn't do in an airplane. Go with your gut first.

4) Read NTSB accident reports like the bible. The information in there is more valuable than you could ever imagine.

5) Although increasingly rare, there are those of us who have never flown an airplane over max gross. Don't feel like any less of a pilot when you look someone in the eye and tell them you won't do it.

Tis all for now. Good luck to you!

Thanks!

3) There are a lot of idiots with pilot's licenses. Unfortunately most of them spend their time hanging around airports telling you what you should and shouldn't do in an airplane. Go with your gut first.

:yeahthat:

If I had a nickel for every one of my students that spouted off some BS that some private pilot told him I could buy at least one gallon of Gas. Be the guy that actually reads the FAR/AIM, especially whenever a new year comes out. Not the guy that learned his regulations from "Some dude" at the airport.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. The reason I want to be in Aero Engineering is because ever since I was 5 I have been drawing and designing airplanes.

I asked because you sound a lot like me when I was in High School. I wanted to go get an Aero E degree, too...loved drafting and CAD and all kinds of aircraft design stuff.

Then I got to college and started taking the core engineering classes. I realized that the fun I got from the "art" side of things was offset significantly by the analytical math side of Engineering. It just wasn't fun when it was all integrals and Reynolds numbers and coefficients.

By all means go get a 4-year degree if you plan on being a professional pilot, but if Aero E doesn't float your boat don't sweat it.

Again, this is where I'd be general rather than specific; "get a Bachelor's Degree" rather than naming what will be printed on your diploma. Just like with the airlines, a lot can change in 4 years.

I hope you start saving now for your PPL because I had to stop because it was getting way too expensive...it just wasn't feasible or enjoyable anymore. I am about 15 hours away and devastated but that is the way things are. You will find that out too.

I hope you start saving now for your PPL because I had to stop because it was getting way too expensive...it just wasn't feasible or enjoyable anymore. I am about 15 hours away and devastated but that is the way things are. You will find that out too.

Took me 10 years due to cost and losing my medical twice. I started at 16 and wasn't able to finish until I was out of grad school at 26. Hang in there.

Nice to see you giving your future some thought, good for you!

I'm not sure what sort of grades you have but... have you considered the Naval Academy?
One of the finest educations you can get in this country.... with no school debt for your parents! (they'll do the happy dance)

The sciences are stressed (you graduate with a Science degree) and aeronautical engineering is a common career path. You've worn an officers uniform... tons of very lucrative jobs with military contract firms when you leave the Navy.

There are pilot slots.... hard to come by but see vocation above.... You'll earn enough so you can buy your own damn plane!

Oh - and in terms of piloting advice since you seem to be a good kid (i.e., one who recognizes the importance of advice) - here is what Murdoughnut tells every student pilot he meets...

1) 9 out of 10 general aviation accidents are caused by people flying into weather they shouldn't, or getting too slow on climb out and approach. Never do either and you reduce your chances of dying in an airplane by 90%.

2) Airplanes are like wild animals - not inherently dangerous, just deserving of respect. Always remember that they are more powerful than you - and in the rare instance that they're not, mother nature will pick up the slack.

4) Read NTSB accident reports like the bible. The information in there is more valuable than you could ever imagine.

5) Although increasingly rare, there are those of us who have never flown an airplane over max gross. Don't feel like any less of a pilot when you look someone in the eye and tell them you won't do it.

Tis all for now. Good luck to you!

Step one, print these rules out in big letters and use it for your wallpaper in your room.

You should look into a sport pilot license. You probably have enough training to get your ticket now, and you can always upgrade to a higher certificate later when you have more funds.

BTW, I have a 14 yr gap between page 1 and page 2 of my logbook.

Also, assuming that I fly a lot in the summer in high school after I get my PPL and in the summers during college I fly. After I graduate I become an Instructor and work as one for about 5 years, how many hours should I have?

Are there any similar programs that will do something for my career?

One of the keys to this career is networking. The good thing about networking is that its free! That doesn't necessarily mean brown nose. Just be friendly and treat the guy flying the Cessna 152 just like you'd treat the guy flying the 747. You never know. The guy flying the 152 just might also own a Cessna 402 or knows someone who knows someone who's looking for someone with the qualifications that you have.

Also, assuming that I fly a lot in the summer in high school after I get my PPL and in the summers during college I fly. After I graduate I become an Instructor and work as one for about 5 years, how many hours should I have?

A lot goes into that. It depends on how busy you keep yourself. I learned while doing my training to never set goals to far in the future. There are so many factors to take into account in this career. When I was in college I wanted to have all of certificates and ratings completed by the beginning of my junior year. With the help of a couple of sucky instructors, a lot of bad weather, and 9-11....I didn't get done until the end of my senior year of college. At that point I stop setting goals and started going with the flow. I thought that I would have to instruct for atleast 3 years before moving up to the next level. It only took 1 year and a few months. I haven't had to face any layoffs, furloughs, or company closures as of yet, but they would definitely change things.

One thing that I always stressed with my students is to enjoy the moment and let the progression happen at it's own pace.

Back