My old flight school has been wiped out at MKC

arkflyr

So my aviation career stated at the MKC airport, first working the ramp for Executive Beechcraft and later as a flight instructor for ATD Flight Systems. Unfortunately due to what is being called a gustnado, and what is apparently looking like Signature being Signature, their fleet has been destroyed.

I've heard rumors that Signature emptied out the hangar for a scheduled event/ball that a charitable organization had rented the space for and didn't get the airplanes put back in before the storm hit. The kicker is the hangar was empty, the ball wasn't until the next night and nothing had been set up yet.

I feel so bad for the owner of that school, he has pretty much dedicated his life to it and was a great mentor to me.

So my aviation career stated at the MKC airport, first working the ramp for Executive Beechcraft and later as a flight instructor for ATD Flight Systems. Unfortunately due to what is being called a gustnado, and what is apparently looking like Signature being Signature, their fleet has been destroyed.

I've heard rumors that Signature emptied out the hangar for a scheduled event/ball that a charitable organization had rented the space for and didn't get the airplanes put back in before the storm hit. The kicker is the hangar was empty, the ball wasn't until the next night and nothing had been set up yet.

I feel so bad for the owner of that school, he has pretty much dedicated his life to it and was a great mentor to me.

That’s unfortunate! They probably had the hangar emptied out so the could do a deep cleaning and floor buff before setting up for the event.
I know that doesn’t make it better, though.

We took off shortly before all this rolled in. It looked gnarly from the air. Tops were well into the 50s. Had to run south all the way to TUL before we could get clear of it. They should have known better. They had plenty of time from where it blew up before it got to the metro area.

FB_IMG_1682175839649.jpg
FB_IMG_1682175848061.jpg

They should have known better. They had plenty of time from where it blew up before it got to the metro area.
That's the thing that is so frustrating, it's Kansas City they are no strangers to bad weather and storms. I'm not going to say it couldn't have happened back in the old days of Executive Beechcraft but as far back as I remember it didn't, at least nothing like this. I have watched that airport just get hammered with bad weather, I saw my first tornado from that ramp, the weekend before 9/11 a MetLife blimp blew away from its moorings and that whole time we always got everything tied down and secured.

Back