My Commercial Single Engine Checkride

charlie1017

Ok so here's the detail for anyone who will be taking this checkride. I probably missed many questions from the oral (I'm sleepy) so I'm writing what I can remember. Bottom line: study, study, study! And fly your airplane with precision! That's what the examiner expects from you...

Oral:

1. Takeoff performance problem calculating distance over 50 ft obstacle. Examiner gave me the temperature, elevation and wind at the field. Then he asked me to walk him through the computation.

2. Did the weight and balance. Show that the airplane is in the allowed CG range.

3. Took the sectional and started asking airspace questions. Know the visibility and cloud requirements for every airspace cold!

4. Can you exceed 100hrs flying an airplane operated for instruction without its 100 hr inspection? Under what conditions? When would the next 100 hour inspection be due?

5. MELs and equipment deferral... Essentially explain FAR 91.213 for airplanes with and without MELs.

6. Wake turbulence avoidance... Know what to do when landing or departing behind large planes taking off or landing...

7. Runway incursion avoidance... Know ALL airport signs, lighting,

8. What is the oil capacity of the airplane? How many cylinders? How many spark plugs? Why do you want a dual ignition system? Fuel capacity?

9. Know the all the speeds for your airplane, like VNE, VLE, VFE, VSO, VX, VY, etc.

9. Explain -from memory- the landing gear emergency extension procedures. Explain what you would do if gear didn't extend in the pattern at a busy class D airport.

10. Explain how a vacuum system failure would look like in this airplane.

Flight:

1. Be very thorough with checklists! Be aware of other traffic when taxiing! Do a takeoff briefing out loud, including plans of action if engine fails on the runway or on climbout.
2. Power off 180 accuracy landing. If you're high and you put out all the flaps, use a forward slip!
3. Soft field takeoff.
4. Soft field landing.
5. Cross country to the first checkpoint, then divert direct to a VOR.
6. Slow flight with turns to headings, followed by a turning power off stall.
7. Power on stall.
8. Emergency descent. Explain why is it better to descend with flaps/gear down as opposed to clean.
9. Lazy eights.
10. Eights on pylons.
11. Steep turns.
12. Returned to the airport for no flaps landing.

Throughout the flight he would also ask questions about the maneuvers, airspeeds, etc. And he would talk a lot while doing the maneuvers (distraction)...

Well that's all I can remember for now! I hope it helps anyone taking the test in the future!:)

Back