My CFI Landed her Bonanza on a street in Las Vegas!

OK it was all luck. Jeeze, i swear all people do is argue on this site. You should see my other post. People are ripping me a new one because i can't spell and it has nothing to do with the topic (http://forums.jetcareers.com/general-topics/69931-almost-a-commercial-pilot-what-to-do-now.html). This is what i CAN'T stand about online forms. people post things that have near nothing to do with the original post. I could honestly argue with you all day long about weather it was skill or it was luck. it would just be a wast of my time.

I've had over 1700 posts and youve hit the nail on the head. I even posted a stock suggestion intended to help memebrs on here who are into play, instead I get bashed with my typos..

Back on topic, that took a heck of a lot of skill on the CFI's part. Since Hnderson is southwest of VGT isent that place a bit less corwded, populated? and has more open space and wider roads. Was she on short final when this happend? or was it during the immedeate turn from base to final when she had an engine out?

Several approach to landing engine out occur in so cal where its way more populated and the reults are either fatal or result in severe injury. There was one in RAL a Single engine "mooney" lost an engine after takeoff and tried to aim for a residential street and hit a power line everyone on board lost their lives.

The Southwest US has such high MEA's and OROCA's as opposed to flying in the southeast. MEA's were at 2,000 from JAckosnville to Meridian MI. Here in So cal to Nevada or AZ they can be as high as up to 12,000 or more. try climbing to that alt in the summer when your DA is high. You gotta get that Vy pinned and you get about 50-100fpm climb at 8,000-11,000. But I have never flown at those altitudes in IFR and never had to land at an airport that high as I can imagine it can be kind of sketchy flying SE and having to shoot mins at a high alt airport in a mountain range. most airports in so cal are close to sea level with the exception of big bear which is up at 9,000?

She said she was on a long final and the Henderson Tower had cleared her for any runway...she stated that there was so much congestion below her it could have been a lot worse....I know flying with her over Socal calling out places to land is kind of a joke! ahahha I'm like yeah Meiko i would land on top of that parking garage, that seems like a place i could dodge the buildings, power lines and cars. The D.A. in Vegas at the time she said was high with the OAT at 90+ degrees. I guess she got some good ground effect landing on the street. The plane is a 285hp Bonanza by the way...its freakin fast! and Heavy. She has flown for 14 years and i think this is her first Engine Failure.

to answer the Q's on Big Bear that place gets high! DA! 9,000 is about correct in the summer! Most Socal airports are near sea level but i fly out of Van Nuys and the field elevation is 802ft above msl.

Back