Multi PIC vs. Turbine SIC

jawright

I've got about 50 hrs multi now. I'm currently working at a busy flight school where I can build a lot of multi PIC time (50-60 hrs/mo). I've been offered a gig as a sim instructor and SIC (about 40 hrs/mo SIC) in a jet.

Which one of these is going to benefit me more in looking for a regional airline job? The multi PIC or jet SIC?

Honestly...take the higher paying one. The way the regionals will be hiring it will not matter if your ME is SIC/PIC. Once you hit ATP mins I doubt you will have much of a problem getting called by someone. At least thats my opinion.

Both airlines I interviewed at wanted to see more crm. It was like they didn't care I flew signal pilot 135.

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that you should take whichever job gets you the most PIC experience. I know a good number of regional pilots who are stuck there because of a lack of PIC time. Low PIC time will get you to the regionals, but may stall your progression going forward.

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that you should take whichever job gets you the most PIC experience. I know a good number of regional pilots who are stuck there because of a lack of PIC time. Low PIC time will get you to the regionals, but may stall your progression going forward.

+1. If your PIC time is lacking now, and you do go to a regional, you'll find yourself very much boxed into a corner until you upgrade at said regional.

My .02, like undsioux said the regionals will be in a jam bc of this 1500 hr rule and it wont matter if you have turbine or not, that really only matters when you are looking to move on from them. However, PIC is PIC, if you were to ever for some reason get furloughed and whilst you are on furlough look for another job to fill the time, that PIC time is going to be very valuable in getting you a gig, especially if its mulit PIC. Good luck:)

More than resume fodder - PIC means you're the boss, which also means that you're the one making decisions. Learning how to make decisions is a good thing for pilots, and something that should be encouraged. Get out there and really fly, really get some good time under your belt making your own choices - good and bad - and try to learn. If I were doing hiring (I'm not though, so take this for what it's worth - absolutely nothing), and the insurance company would allow it, if I had two guys interviewing, one with lot's of PIC time (any PIC time) and one with lot's of turbine SIC time but low PIC time, I'm taking the guy with the PIC time. Even if the guy or gals is going into the right seat, I want someone there who has made decisions already.

More than resume fodder - PIC means you're the boss, which also means that you're the one making decisions. Learning how to make decisions is a good thing for pilots, and something that should be encouraged. Get out there and really fly, really get some good time under your belt making your own choices - good and bad - and try to learn. If I were doing hiring (I'm not though, so take this for what it's worth - absolutely nothing), and the insurance company would allow it, if I had two guys interviewing, one with lot's of PIC time (any PIC time) and one with lot's of turbine SIC time but low PIC time, I'm taking the guy with the PIC time. Even if the guy or gals is going into the right seat, I want someone there who has made decisions already.
Ya, I'd take a 2000 PIC pilot over a 6000 SIC pilot every day. But I think the regionals can go F themselves, so this may have no application to your goals.

But to be honest, if it's for a SIC position I'd probably care a LOT less about anything in your logbook than YOU.

How much PIC time do you have now?

Total time?

How much aviation experience do you have?

What kind of jet is it?

All these things should make a difference in the decision on which job would be the best choice.

How much PIC time do you have now? 860 PIC

Total time?
990TT/60ME

Enough to know how dumb I really am.
CFI/II/MEI, Working on a Master of Aero. Science, been flying since 2005-ish

What kind of jet is it?
CE-500/ CE-550

Just my opinion - If the SIC gig has potential to be a PIC gig in a few years that would bypass the regionals alltogether. If your goal is to get into the regionals, which ever job gets you to ATP Mins in the least amount of time.

How much PIC time do you have now? 860 PIC

Total time?
990TT/60ME

Enough to know how dumb I really am.
CFI/II/MEI, Working on a Master of Aero. Science, been flying since 2005-ish

What kind of jet is it?
CE-500/ CE-550

IMO if getting to a regional airline is your goal the MEI job will get you there faster. But the SIC position would probably give you better experience. I would pick the one that "you" want to do. With your current time you are pretty close either way. Pick the one that will get you where you want to be.

PIC! If you're planning on going to the regionals they are really going to care less as long as you can meet the TT requirements for the ATP in a year or so. Hell, they'll probably take a guy with 1100 hrs of blimp time. The PIC gig will be better in the short term and the long term as far as experience and airmanship goes.

PIC! If you're planning on going to the regionals they are really going to care less as long as you can meet the TT requirements for the ATP in a year or so. Hell, they'll probably take a guy with 1100 hrs of blimp time. The PIC gig will be better in the short term and the long term as far as experience and airmanship goes.

I like the second half of this post, and I certainly hope that is the case.

Hey now! What are you tryin' to say here buddy? :):biggrin:

Do the math. You can use 2 hours of SIC to count for 1 hour of PIC. You need 1200 hours of PIC to get an ICAO ATP. Judge how long you think it will take you to upgrade (hah!) and how many hours a year you will fly at the SIC place. If your lack of PIC time (including the 2 for 1 SIC) will keep you from upgrading stay where you are at now.

Back