Multi in RIC, experiences, format?

zx6rrider

Should be finishing up my com in the the next couple weeks and am looking into where to go for the multi add on. Anybody have recent (last 6 months-year) experience with the multi in RIC? Hows the format? I live an hour and 20 min away, would it be worthwhile to drive or should I be getting a hotel to focus on any studying? I will have the supplement memorized before arriving. I figure it will be late July or Aug as I need to refresh my instrument skills. I've managed to beg borrow and steal my way though most of my training so I'm going to have to find a plane to practice GPS approaches in, never flown a plane with an IFR gps. Are the instructors good or just warming the seat until they can move on? Thanks for any info

Depending on what program you are doing i would suggest you stay local. I don't know any of the instructors in RIC but I am sure they are all good guys(gals). As far as the multi it is a fairly easy check ride. Maneuvers include Steep turns, slow flight, stalls, vmc. Emergency Maneuvers include engine shutdown to full feather and air start, Emergency Decent, Vcut, engine failure 500' and a single engine landing. The only other thing you will have to do is a single engine ILS to get your instrument privileges good for the multi.

Don't show up expecting to get IFR proficient in the airplane, show up ready. There are many people who arrive unable to fly an ILS on 2 engines, much less one. Not much time to diagnose problems like that.

Thanks for the info, gonna do the 4 day 10 hour program. I work fri-sun so as long as they can do tues-fri morning shouldn't have to miss work. I'll definently practice some instrument work before arriving, its only been a year since my check ride and 6 months since a proficiency check so shouldn't take much. Doesn't sound like I need to spend time in a plane shooting GPS approaches than right? Is it possible to do the program in 3 days wx and instructor permitting? Thanks for any insight and I'll get ahold of them in the next couple weeks to see what they have to say.

Did fuel go up $2.50 a gal? $500 increase "to cover fuel cost" seems high for 10 hours of flying at roughly 20 gal an hour. Guess that what I get for slacking and not getting around to it by now. RIC would be convient but for the extra 1500 I may take a trip to CT.

Back