MSY RWY 29 NOTAM Question

Green12324

!FDC 1/6650 MSY ODP LOUIS ARMSTRONG NEW ORLEANS INTL, NEW ORLEANS, LA. TAKEOFF MINIMUMS AND (OBSTACLE) DEPARTURE PROCEDURES AMDT 2... TAKE-OFF MINIMUMS RWY 29, PROCEDURE NA. ALL OTHER DATA REMAINS AS PUBLISHED. 2104281200-2111151118EST

Am I correct in understanding this NOTAM to mean that IFR traffic can't use RWY 29 for departure because the take-off minimums are not authorized? RWY 29 was being advertised for departure in the ATIS, but if I understand correctly all the 121 traffic would have been required to use an alternate runway. Thanks for any clarification you can provide!

!FDC 1/6650 MSY ODP LOUIS ARMSTRONG NEW ORLEANS INTL, NEW ORLEANS, LA. TAKEOFF MINIMUMS AND (OBSTACLE) DEPARTURE PROCEDURES AMDT 2... TAKE-OFF MINIMUMS RWY 29, PROCEDURE NA. ALL OTHER DATA REMAINS AS PUBLISHED. 2104281200-2111151118EST

Am I correct in understanding this NOTAM to mean that IFR traffic can't use RWY 29 for departure because the take-off minimums are not authorized? RWY 29 was being advertised for departure in the ATIS, but if I understand correctly all the 121 traffic would have been required to use an alternate runway. Thanks for any clarification you can provide!
The generic ODP in the book is not authorized. They probably never use that in MSY anyway, it’s probably always a heading from tower. I’m surprised there aren’t any SIDs there tho.

Also, there’s something funky because the current ODP references what must be old runway numbers, it has runway 11 as runway 9. It also has nothing for former runway 27/current runway 29, so digging into your instrument flying 101 knowledge, what does that mean?
B710C92E-D7DF-4BD9-911E-9973B415BA79.png

Last edited:
The generic ODP in the book is not authorized. They probably never use that in MSY anyway, it’s probably always a heading from tower. I’m surprised there aren’t any SIDs there tho.

Also, there’s something funky because the current ODP references what must be old runway numbers, it has runway 11 as runway 9. It also has nothing for former runway 27/current runway 29, so digging into your instrument flying 101 knowledge, what does that mean?

I'm not seeing reference to runway 9 or any old runway numbers? Where are you seeing that?

What I'm seeing is no obstacle departure procedure or takeoff minimums listed on the IFR Takeoff Mins page. I'm thinking there used to be minimums/ a procedure and those were dropped in the 17 June revision but the notam still remains.

Edit: Oh, I see- you were looking at NEW, not MSY.

I'm not seeing reference to runway 9 or any old runway numbers? Where are you seeing that?

What I'm seeing is no obstacle departure procedure or takeoff minimums listed on the IFR Takeoff Mins page. I'm thinking there used to be minimums/ a procedure and those were dropped in the 17 June revision but the notam still remains.

Dammit I’m dumb
yeah MSY has nothing.

So this NOTAM isn't referencing the take-off minimums on the 10-9A page?

So this NOTAM isn't referencing the take-off minimums on the 10-9A page?

Well, kind of. It's referencing the section on the 10-9 page or the Takeoff Minimums and (Obstacle) Departure Procedures section in the FAA terminal procedures publication. It's specifically referencing a procedure - such as KNEW has above (Rwy 18R - Std w/ min climb of...etc.). It is not referencing your Part 121/ OPSPEC takeoff minimums. The notam is written, in my opinion, with the FAA terminal procedures in mind - thus the title.

Full disclosure - my answer is mostly from experience. I spent way too long hunting for references for this and I can't find any. Best I could do was piece together sort of relevant data from the FARs and the AIM and even then, nothing I found clearly explains this notam. This is the type of question that when asked I'm thinking, well of course the answer is x... but then upon reflection I wonder
how I know the answer is correct, and in this case I just can't find anything.

The Notam was issued in April, the very last line of the notam states “expiration estimated”

My best guess was that there was a ODP published for runway 29 and they got rid of it in an update cycle. Now the charts don’t reflect the ODP.

Could be the other way around if an ODP is being created.

Back