Moving Lower 48 -> Cold Bay, AK Charter? Can a King Air do it?

I'll look into that. Thanks for the information. I wonder if they'd let me call the pets freight and have a jumpseat for me to fly in. I just want to make the animals as comfortable as possible. The logistics are up to me and there is no reason that my wife has to fly up with us.

I don't even know if those flights still happen or if it is Geoduck season. But AMFs charter has a clause allowing a representative of the company to oversee transportation of cargo. I am pretty sure it happened with Michael Vic's dogs. Its worth a try, only if they cut you deal on an empty leg, otherwise there would be cheaper options.

I don't even know if those flights still happen or if it is Geoduck season. But AMFs charter has a clause allowing a representative of the company to oversee transportation of cargo. I am pretty sure it happened with Michael Vic's dogs. Its worth a try, only if they cut you deal on an empty leg, otherwise there would be cheaper options.

The flights run Fridays Nov-Feb, and only go as far as Ketchikan. The airplanes are not filled with the creature comforts you would find in chartered King Air.

Yes, I'm aware of the costs that are significantly above and beyond what the airlines would cost. I'm investigating my options right now. A fair amount of the relocation expenses are covered for this opportunity. Flying from MSP -> ANC & then from ANC->CDB means two separate "extra luggage costs" because there are two airlines. It also means a hotel stay and an extra day just waiting for the next flight. Even from SEA, you run into the same issue. We will ship a bunch via marine freight, but there will be items that we can't wait for. Considering that, we will pay per bag on the airlines or unlimited bags up to a certain weight & balance limitation.

Honestly, I'm more worried about the negative stigma I might generate by flying into such a small town on a charter flight than I am of the cost. We aren't rich in the least, but we do consider all costs/benefits with any expenses.

PS FlyingScot Whats a geoduck?

The flights run Fridays Nov-Feb, and only go as far as Ketchikan. The airplanes are not filled with the creature comforts you would find in chartered King Air.
It's good to know the AMF flights only go to Ketchican.

You bring up a good point as far as comfort. I'm not terribly concerned with comfort. I don't need a separate lav(I'll pee in a bottle if I need to). I don't need someone to serve me beverages. I need a seat with a seatbelt. My main goal is simply to minimize the stress on the pets(which could mean poking my head in to say hi to them in their kennels) and more flexibility on what I can ship onboard the aircraft without paying a per-bag fee. I'll load the aircraft myself if thats what it takes.

Birds ingest rocks for their gullet, to help them process food; typically, they're just little pebbles and stones. However, there's are a few places in Alaska with fragmented geology (Alaska's part of the volcanic ring of fire) where the sort of crystal formations you normally only see in caves are actually abundant on the surface. Waterfowl from those regions will actually preferentially ingest the crystals -- they're much more efficient than the more easily rounded-off pebbles and such.
Geoducks are just ducks from that region. Typically they're shipped whole from Alaska, but sliced in two by the retailer to show the crystals. (Also called "Demi-canard" style). They're actually quite pretty, but very expensive. :\ From what I hear, they're being drastically overhunted. :\

~Fox

Birds ingest rocks for their gullet, to help them process food; typically, they're just little pebbles and stones. However, there's are a few places in Alaska with fragmented geology (Alaska's part of the volcanic ring of fire) where the sort of crystal formations you normally only see in caves are actually abundant on the surface. Waterfowl from those regions will actually preferentially ingest the crystals -- they're much more efficient than the more easily rounded-off pebbles and such.
Geoducks are just ducks from that region. Typically they're shipped whole from Alaska, but sliced in two by the retailer to show the crystals. (Also called "Demi-canard" style). They're actually quite pretty, but very expensive. :\ From what I hear, they're being drastically overhunted. :\

~Fox

HAHAHA, Really?

~Fox
I suppose now is as good of a time as any to start learning about the culture and intricacies of living there. Thanks for the info!

Yes, I'm aware of the costs that are significantly above and beyond what the airlines would cost. I'm investigating my options right now. A fair amount of the relocation expenses are covered for this opportunity. Flying from MSP -> ANC & then from ANC->CDB means two separate "extra luggage costs" because there are two airlines. It also means a hotel stay and an extra day just waiting for the next flight. Even from SEA, you run into the same issue. We will ship a bunch via marine freight, but there will be items that we can't wait for. Considering that, we will pay per bag on the airlines or unlimited bags up to a certain weight & balance limitation.

Honestly, I'm more worried about the negative stigma I might generate by flying into such a small town on a charter flight than I am of the cost. We aren't rich in the least, but we do consider all costs/benefits with any expenses.

Well said Sir. I couldn't find a better description of the positive aspects of charter.

It's good to know the AMF flights only go to Ketchican.

You bring up a good point as far as comfort. I'm not terribly concerned with comfort. I don't need a separate lav(I'll pee in a bottle if I need to). I don't need someone to serve me beverages. I need a seat with a seatbelt. My main goal is simply to minimize the stress on the pets(which could mean poking my head in to say hi to them in their kennels) and more flexibility on what I can ship onboard the aircraft without paying a per-bag fee. I'll load the aircraft myself if thats what it takes.

I need more PAX like you!

So you have an aircraft you will fly me in? :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346976598.811172.jpg

Been to PANC with this tail. Cold Bay would be cool too. I can't give out bro deals however...

View attachment 21605

Been to PANC with this tail. Cold Bay would be cool too. I can't give out bro deals however...
I get it, there aren't really "deals" to be given. You're burning fuel which costs money and uses aircraft time which costs money. I figure the only way it could potentially work in a jet like that was if there was a pick-up in Anchorage that involved an empty leg form the lower 48 in which case, the company would want to make sure they covered the marginal cost of flying from the lower 48 to ANC. But hey, you gotta try!

Charters provides one of the most favorable and reliable services in concern with transportation with personal and business purpose also.

Get da freight to da jet, yaaaaaaargh! :)

Sent from my TRS-80

Back