Morons.

I'm admittedly way too drunk at the moment to take on this entire message, but let me provide a summation - I don't have anything against home builders - in fact, I respect them simply because I don't have a pair big enough to fly anything I've built myself.

But anytime someone crashes a GA a/c into a home, it hurts our obsession - it makes it that much more difficult to justify a freedom that the public allows us to have. That's right - none of us has a right to fly over someone's home - we're given the opportunity to do so, as long as we strive to do it in a safe and respectful manner.

Here it is plane and simple - I don't ever want to be in a situation where my ability to fly a manufactured, meticulously inspected a/c over an urban area is brought into question because some yahoo forgot to tighten a few bolts while building his own a/c in his garage. Before you lay into me - I know, the majority of home builders are careful and considerate. That being said, they don't have the same liability that a manufacturer does - and they also don't have a group of people making decisions - they have one.

I see limiting home builts to non-congested areas as a compromise. It's something that we give back to the public for them to allow us to fly manufactured a/c over their homes. It's a fine balance, but we're in the minority - and as long as we show that we're more interested in the safety of the public than our own autonomy, they'll continue to allow us to pursue our passion.

Too drunk to finish - hopefully that got my point across.

:yup:

Just one more Aviation Expert!!!:banghead:

Oh.... and I've been known to build and fly experimental airplanes. I built and flew an RV-6 and am currently building an RV-9, I've also assisted in the construction of several others and I'll put any of them up against any spam can that you fly for safety and construction quality. It ain't about the airplane, its the individual behind the windscreen that determines the safety of a flight, experimental or otherwise!!

An annual inspection doesn't guaranty anything, other than some mechanic with an IA looked at an airplane and said its safe to fly, and chances are pretty good he won't be flying the airplane after that inspection.

I used to work at an FBO from 10pm-6am and we had a lot of traffic at night. It never failed, I got 2-3 phone calls a night (I guess it is the only number they could find) complaining about it. I always ended the phone call with: Well, this airport has been here a while, why did you move close to it?

I loved those phone calls.

I had the same sort of fun when I worked line. Especially when mx was doing an engine run at 11pm.

Back