More Pictures From The Ramp

Joe

It's been a while since I've posted any, but this is a continuation of this thread from November. All of these were taken at Quonset State Airport (OQU) in North Kingstown, RI with a Canon PowerShot S3 IS. The good ones are higher quality and posted at Flickr, while the less good ones are just resized attachments. I think my photography skills, or at the very least, my photo editing skills, have improved in the past five months. Enjoy...

An Embraer EMB-120 Brasilia which brought in a college basketball team.

Short C-23 Sherpa (Military version of the Short 330).

This is a 15-second exposure of a Beechcraft B100 King Air departing Runway 23. I'd like another shot at one of these because that floodlight is a little distracting.

This is where we check the MALSR for Runway 16. This would be a good spot for another long-exposure departure.

attachment.php

Since we manage the airport for RIAC (as well as the other state airports besides PVD, which are SFZ, UUU, WST, and BID), we are responsible for snow removal as well. Basically, the plows push the snow the the downwind side of the runway into a "wind row," and a snowblower mows down the wind row, preventing snowbanks. I took this one while driving a snowblower up Runway 34. One pass would take about 1.5 hours for a 8,000 foot runway. Being my first time, I managed to fry the clutch that is used to engage the auger later that night... long story short, you're supposed to have the auger engine at idle before engaging the clutch...

[yt]pbL3Jxj4iqg[/yt]
I also took some video while driving the snowblower.

If this Gulfstream III is as loud as it is with the hushkits, I can't imagine how bad it is without them. I estimate that mean sea level rises 1/32" every time this thing takes off.

This is the same Beechcraft B100 King Air as in the long-exposure departure a few pictures back.

After the success of the previous picture, I've had a thing for night shots/prop arcs since. This is a Linear Air Cessna 208B Grand Caravan.

attachment.php

Our snow removal equipment. From left to right: The broom truck (used for F.O.D. or a dusting of snow), the rollover, a snowblower, the three 19' plows, and the snowblower that was OTS for two months thanks to your's truly. We didn't get too much snow this winter, but I still made a decent amount of overtime plowing and got to teach myself how to double-clutch on 20+ year old Mack trucks.

A welcome change from the Citations and Beechjets, this McDonnell Douglas F/A-18A Hornet spent the night on our ramp. It belongs to Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 142 (The "Flying Gators"), which is based at Naval Air Station Atlanta in Georgia.

attachment.php

This Fish & Wildlife Cessna U206G Stationair stopped for fuel before the F-18 left.

Converting Jet-A into noise while rotating on Runway 34.

Cessna Citation III.

attachment.php

Another Citation III, with police cars on the emergency vehicle operator course in the background. OQU has two closed runways which are used for EVOC training by a driving school and local police departments.

attachment.php

Canadian-registered Dassault Falcon 10.

This NetJets Citation V pilot also saw the photo opportunity as this cargo ship full of Volkswagens and Audis made its way into Davisville.

Mexican-registered Bombardier Challenger 300.

The same aircraft the following day. I wish Bombardier would put those cockpit windows on the CRJ.

Every once in a while we'll get a United States Coast Guard Lockheed HC-130H land to clear customs, unload some cargo, and take off again. These aircraft fly missions for the International Ice Patrol, monitoring the presence of icebergs in the North Atlantic. Note the vortices coming off the propellers.

These HeliFlite Bell 430s always come in unannounced, and always ask if we hot fuel (as in, refueling while the rotors are turning... no thanks...). Anything more than lightly squeezing the nozzle handle is a quick way to get a face full of Jet-A.

This Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15UTI, like the Fouga, also belongs to Red Star Aviation and is currently hangared at the Quonset Air Museum. Manufactured in 1953, it's completely restored and, from what I've heard, the world's oldest flying jet.

One of the Rhode Island Air National Guard 143rd Airlift Wing's new Lockheed C-130J-30s landing on runway 34.

The C-9B Skytrain II is the military version of the McDonnell Douglas DC-9-30; this one flies for the United States Marine Corps.

This Cessna 421B Golden Eagle is usually hangared but spent a few days out on the ramp instead.

attachment.php

I was suprised to hear on the news that this was just a brush fire maybe 10 miles away. Some of the ash actually ended up on our ramp. On the left is a Gulfstream G200 (formerly the IAI Galaxy) and on the right is a Cirrus.

attachment.php

Cessna 195.

This De Havilland Canada DHC-8-202Q Dash 8 is operated by the Mexican Navy, a.k.a. Armada de Mexico.

The C-37A is a military variant of the Gulfstream V; this one serves as the United States Coast Guard's executive transport.

Raytheon Hawker 800.

The O-2A was the Air Force's version of the Cessna 337 Super Skymaster. This one is now civilian owned yet retains its Air Force markings, and from what I heard the rocket pods still work...

The Boeing/BAE Systems T-45C Goshawk is a highly modified version of the BAE Hawk and serves as the US Navy's two-seat advanced jet trainer. This aircraft flies with Training Squadron 7, which operates under Training Air Wing 1 at Naval Air Station Meridian in Mississippi. You'd think the pod underneath would be a drop tank for extended range flights, but it's actually a storage container that the pilots used for their luggage.

That's all for now. We're starting to pick up now that it's getting warmer, so I may be able to update more often. The air show is June 28-29, so I'll be beside myself then, especially since I missed it the past two years due to my previous job. We don't have the Blue Angles or Thunderbirds this year, but the British Red Arrows will be coming for what I believe is the first time, and I don't think they're stateside very often for that matter, so if you're in the area, don't miss it.

Attachments

• Snow Blower (Medium).jpg
    Snow Blower (Medium).jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 826
  • Plows (Medium).jpg
    Plows (Medium).jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 884
  • Cessna 206 (Medium).jpg
    Cessna 206 (Medium).jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 830
  • Cessna Citation III #3 (Medium).jpg
    Cessna Citation III #3 (Medium).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,079
  • Dassault Falcon 10 (Medium).jpg
    Dassault Falcon 10 (Medium).jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 825
  • Warren Brush Fire (Medium).jpg
    Warren Brush Fire (Medium).jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 780
  • Cessna 195 (Medium).jpg
    Cessna 195 (Medium).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 785
That O-2 looks like a future of law enforcement, TSA should get a few to keep GA in check :D

Back