military vs. civilian atc

TheMattAttack17

Hello everyone,

Just had a few questions and wanted a few opinions. Which seems to be a better choice? Also kind of curious what the pros and cons to each would be. Ultimately my plan is to fly and become a pilot and I see this as a good way to learn how things work such as airspace and talking to atc as a pilot. Also kind of curious which route would be easier to get in. I'm not too sure of the process in the civi world but I hear availability for atc in the military can be somewhat limited. So any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone in advance.

Hello everyone,

Just had a few questions and wanted a few opinions. Which seems to be a better choice? Also kind of curious what the pros and cons to each would be. Ultimately my plan is to fly and become a pilot and I see this as a good way to learn how things work such as airspace and talking to atc as a pilot. Also kind of curious which route would be easier to get in. I'm not too sure of the process in the civi world but I hear availability for atc in the military can be somewhat limited. So any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone in advance.

If you want to fly and learn about airspace and talking to ATC, go take a ground school, and beyond, at a good local flight school. Go visit your local tower. This is far too difficult a job, takes far too long to get hired/trained (and the training is intense) for it to be just an information jaunt.

Maybe go become a Navy aircraft carrier controller. Some services will guarantee you ATC BEFORE you join. Remember, get it in writing.

If you want to be a military controller go Air Force. You will be guaranteed ATC and it will be your primary job. The Air Force is hurting for controllers because they all get out and go civilian. You have to enlist fro six years if you do become a controller because that is the only way they have some useful retainability out of you. The training is intense and could take a while but you will receive FAA certifications so it only helps you in the long run. This is a biased answer so do your research but DO NOT buy in to what any recruiter tells you. Ask people (specifically controllers) that are actually in the branch of service that you are interested in. I can tell you this though, MOST of the people I know that were in the Army wished they had joined the Air Force. If they didn't then they were jealous as hell. Again a biased answer. Let me know if you have questions.

Back