Military or Flight School?

TylerC-IL

Hi, I have heard that if you join the military you have a better chance of getting a job with a major airlines. Is that true or does it not really matter?

I'd say it really depends on a lot of things. What I can say is that you will make a whole lot more money flying in the military and "working your way up" on that route than you will working your way up to eligibility for an airline gig on the civilian side (or many regionals for that matter). Yes, there are deployments, moving a lot, long hours, etc, but it is a dependable paycheck with a lot of nice benefits and typically a pretty good quality of life. I'm sure there are low hour civilian types who have gotten some great deals (I know a couple), but just speaking in generalities here. That said, I would never do it for the money or for the stability, but it is one benefit of going the mil route.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure about that lol Depends on what you fly, how many hours, time out of cockpit, etc, etc, etc.

Don't join the military unless your goal is to fly in the military.

Agreed.

What the hell are you doing here? Would be the first thing that came to mind if I had a brand new winged aviator show up in my unit telling about his fast track to an airline job.

You can have a long term plan, but while your here you have a job a very technically taxing family eating job to do. If your to busy worrying about what your hours to apply for an FO position with delta need to be that your not in the books looking up ttp's you shouldn't be here.

There are guys who show up with plans for the airlines...I say to each their own. Do your job, nothing wrong with plans. Some skippers hold that against you, some don't.

There are guys who show up with plans for the airlines...I say to each their own. Do your job, nothing wrong with plans. Some skippers hold that against you, some don't.

lesson #1 in mil aviation: never tell the front office or the DH's your "long term plan". It is subject to change but their memory of what you might have said in the past is not, regardless of whether or not you still mean it.

lesson #1 in mil aviation: never tell the front office or the DH's your "long term plan". It is subject to change but their memory of what you might have said in the past is not, regardless of whether or not you still mean it.

There's never a bad to shut the fluck up :)

Back