Military Flying

Corey Rourke

coreyr31
I was wondering if there is any branch of the military if applied for you are guaranteed a flying job? I am a junior in college working on my bachelors, and have an instrument and commercial rating. I would be much happier going in and committing if I know I am guaranteed a flying position.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
I was wondering if there is any branch of the military if applied for you are guaranteed a flying job? I am a junior in college working on my bachelors, and have an instrument and commercial rating. I would be much happier going in and committing if I know I am guaranteed a flying position.
Military and guarantees? Hahahahaha. That's a good one right there. :D

The phrase "needs of the military" trump and override anything and everything that occurs with you as a military member. Usually, its a "guaranteed slot", with the fineprint being "if you pass all these hurdles to even make it there." And even then, there's no solid guarantees.

ryan1234

Desensitized Member
The short answer to your question is 'yes'. The long answer involves you searching for the specifics here, baseops.net, airwarriors.com and like 69 other websites.

Taco

DISCLAIMER: USAF only

No guarantees. The 'best' option (as far as guarantees go) that I know ofis the National Guard/Reserves (at least on the USAF side). Even then, Guard/Reserve guys washout all the time. Also, you have to worry about your unit getting shutdown or losing their aircraft.

Also, I'm not 100% full up on how the OTS process works, so maybe somebody can fill us in on that. I'm not sure if you can get a guarantee before you commit or not, but I do know that you have to be a super-brainiac with a 3.5+ with at least one degree to be competitive now-a-days.

If you want it bad enough, go for the gold.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
DISCLAIMER: USAF only

No guarantees. The 'best' option (as far as guarantees go) that I know ofis the National Guard/Reserves (at least on the USAF side). Even then, Guard/Reserve guys washout all the time. Also, you have to worry about your unit getting shutdown or losing their aircraft.

Also, I'm not 100% full up on how the OTS process works, so maybe somebody can fill us in on that. I'm not sure if you can get a guarantee before you commit or not, but I do know that you have to be a super-brainiac with a 3.5+ with at least one degree to be competitive now-a-days.

If you want it bad enough, go for the gold.
Yes, OTS, you know your slot when you're selected for OTS.

AF.....no guarantees. Just disappointment and pain. :D

ryan1234

Desensitized Member
Well sorta.... they still have let worthless degenerates in
<---------------------------------------------------------- |

bunk22

Military and guarantees? Hahahahaha. That's a good one right there. :D

The phrase "needs of the military" trump and override anything and everything that occurs with you as a military member. Usually, its a "guaranteed slot", with the fineprint being "if you pass all these hurdles to even make it there." And even then, there's no solid guarantees.
This about sums it up nicely.

Blackhawk

As others have said it depends. Army and Air Force Guard/Reserve is about as close as you can come to guaranteed. Most services will have "guaranteed" aviation slots from time to time but it changes with supply and demand. Also, as others pointed out, the rules can change once you start. If a service suddenly finds itself overstaffed pilots those in training may suddenly find the standards for passing have changed. Those graduating may wear wings but find themselves flying desks or UAVs (as Mike likes to point out all roads eventually lead to the UAV).
I've even seen goofy situations. In the early 1990s just after Gulf War I the Navy was overstaffed pilots... alot. Pilots graduating from flight school were told they could get an unconditional release as there was no room in the Navy. Flash forward to the mid 1990s. The Navy was under strength pilots as they cut too many while the Army was over strength pilots (I knew an Army 1LT who graduated from flight school and was made the veterinarian clinic XO). So they worked a deal. Pilots graduating from Army flight school were offered releases from the Army if they agreed to attend Navy flight school.:)

ppragman

FLIPY FLAPS!
As others have said it depends. Army and Air Force Guard/Reserve is about as close as you can come to guaranteed. Most services will have "guaranteed" aviation slots from time to time but it changes with supply and demand. Also, as others pointed out, the rules can change once you start. If a service suddenly finds itself overstaffed pilots those in training may suddenly find the standards for passing have changed. Those graduating may wear wings but find themselves flying desks or UAVs (as Mike likes to point out all roads eventually lead to the UAV).
I've even seen goofy situations. In the early 1990s just after Gulf War I the Navy was overstaffed pilots... alot. Pilots graduating from flight school were told they could get an unconditional release as there was no room in the Navy. Flash forward to the mid 1990s. The Navy was under strength pilots as they cut too many while the Army was over strength pilots (I knew an Army 1LT who graduated from flight school and was made the veterinarian clinic XO). So they worked a deal. Pilots graduating from Army flight school were offered releases from the Army if they agreed to attend Navy flight school.:)

Superfly7XAF

As others have said, there are no guarantees. I agree with going ANG/RES, that's about as close as you're going to get.