Military Flying Career if Possible

Egothrasher

I think I already know the answer, and my odds are slim to none, but figured might as well ask. I was just wondering if I stood a chance at all in terms of becoming a pilot for the military. I have two things I know will be big deterrents, my age, and my Honorable discharge from the USAF.

I know for the various branches, the typical age cut off for pilots is 28. Me being 32, probably means I am too old.

And the second reason, is that I was honorably discharged from the USAF, during OTS. Made it to the last week of OTS when it happened.

In my mind I have two options left, the Navy and the Marines. I would prefer the Navy but I know they cut off at 27 I believe.

I think I already know the answer, and my odds are slim to none, but figured might as well ask. I was just wondering if I stood a chance at all in terms of becoming a pilot for the military. I have two things I know will be big deterrents, my age, and my Honorable discharge from the USAF.

I know for the various branches, the typical age cut off for pilots is 28. Me being 32, probably means I am too old.

And the second reason, is that I was honorably discharged from the USAF, during OTS. Made it to the last week of OTS when it happened.

In my mind I have two options left, the Navy and the Marines. I would prefer the Navy but I know they cut off at 27 I believe.

Cut-off for Army warrant officer program is 33 (for pilots). Not sure how they would view washing out of OTS.

You don't have a chance for Navy or Marines.

Why would an “honorably discharge” be a deterrent?

Even if the Navy gave age waivers beyond 29, which they don't, it would be very unlikely that they would give a waiver to someone for a second attempt at a commission.

Depending on the circumstances, a commission is possible but I can't see any shots at being a military pilot unless he is accepted and makes the age cutoff for the Army warrant officer program.

Cut-off for Army warrant officer program is 33 (for pilots). Not sure how they would view washing out of OTS.

Being from another officer commissioning source isn’t a deal breaker for the WOFT program.

I’ve seen several instances of break in service or in my case medical get the paperwork needed to apply. All the board will want to know is “why did it happen” in case it was for a non forgivable reason such as a DUI or honor violation.

The 28 year old age limitation is a floated idea at the moment not actual policy. They want to reduce the number of available warrant slots being taken by guys with significant prior service to maximize the amount of people in the warrant community as not ones who finish their first term service requirement within a retirement window. All these prior E6/7 types that come over in their 30s can basically coast through their ADSO and drop papers and it’s killing long term retention models.

Last edited:
There are waivers for everything. We've hired people who withdrew from other commissioning programs. You might have better luck visiting Guard units that can advocate strongly for you if they like you.

I concur with Pilot Fighter. You still have a chance to fly for the Army, Army Guard, Air Force Reserve, and Air National Guard. I am pretty familiar with the process for all the branches as I have personally pursued for an opportunity to fly for the military. I am 30 and just got picked up by an Air Force Reserve unit so it's possible. PM me and I can provide more details.

Back