military and their medals.....

[ QUOTE ]
We have to help because that is who we are..and our value system.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, I know that somebody will hate me for this, and say that I'm un-American, but I am an America....and a veteran of 8 years. That's why I feel that I have to say this.

Why doesn't the government help the people within our country that need help? Why don't they even spend half as much on any one domestic issue as the do on the domestic issues of Iraq?

Why exactly are we there? Why are American Service members being killed and injured? Does this really make the US any safer?

What is our end goal?

And where are those Weapons of mass destruction?

This entire thing is BS.....and not worth a single American life.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We have to help because that is who we are..and our value system.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, I know that somebody will hate me for this, and say that I'm un-American, but I am an America....and a veteran of 8 years. That's why I feel that I have to say this.

Why doesn't the government help the people within our country that need help? Why don't they even spend half as much on any one domestic issue as the do on the domestic issues of Iraq?

Why exactly are we there? Why are American Service members being killed and injured? Does this really make the US any safer?

What is our end goal?

And where are those Weapons of mass destruction?

This entire thing is BS.....and not worth a single American life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not un-american at all to say what you feel. In fact, NOT questioning what you see/feel is going on, and blindly accepting anything would not only make you Orweillian, but rather un-American.

That being said, I do wonder why some domestic programs get left in the dust, while we're overseas spending money like a drunken sailor. Why, for example, the VA hospitals have such limited staff and care to give to US veterans, and why so many veterans are on the street....while we're dumping money into country's that welcome the cash flow, but could give a rats ass about the US or it's people.

[ QUOTE ]
Why, for example, the VA hospitals have such limited staff and care to give to US veterans, and why so many veterans are on the street....while we're dumping money into country's that welcome the cash flow, but could give a rats ass about the US or it's people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you should mention that.....

You know, I am a disabled vet, and far from low on the priority list. No, I will say that there are people that are higher than me, and should get care before I do. And I won't say that having the VA provide my health care for the rest of my life isn't a good thing.

That being said, do you know, unless it's an emergency, that I can expect to wait 2-4 months for a routine appointment? And it took 8 months just to process the application to get me enrolled into the VA health care system! The reason? Funding and manpower.

MAkes me wonder....is this the care that our wounded vets from this war will return home to?? I certainly hope not, because that's a pretty crappy deal....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why, for example, the VA hospitals have such limited staff and care to give to US veterans, and why so many veterans are on the street....while we're dumping money into country's that welcome the cash flow, but could give a rats ass about the US or it's people.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I am a disabled vet, and far from low on the priority list. No, I will say that there are people that are higher than me, and should get care before I do. And I won't say that having the VA provide my health care for the rest of my life isn't a good thing.

That being said, do you know, unless it's an emergency, that I can expect to wait 2-4 months for a routine appointment? And it took 8 months just to process the application to get me enrolled into the VA health care system! The reason? Funding and manpower.

MAkes me wonder....is this the care that our wounded vets from this war will return home to?? I certainly hope not, because that's a pretty crappy deal....

[/ QUOTE ]

Precisely. And that's why that I, speaking as a US taxpayer, get pissed at some of what I perceive to be "misplaced priorities" in terms of some of our policies and where we, as a country, choose to spend out money.

A 2-4 month wait just for a FREAKING APPOINTMENT?

That's not just poor service, IMO, that should be criminal.

Funny we haven't heard much about the wounded that have been returned stateside from this war............

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Precisely. And that's why that I, speaking as a US taxpayer, get pissed at some of what I perceive to be "misplaced priorities" in terms of some of our policies and where we, as a country, choose to spend out money.

A 2-4 month wait just for a FREAKING APPOINTMENT?

That's not just poor service, IMO, that should be criminal.

Funny we haven't heard much about the wounded that have been returned stateside from this war............

[/ QUOTE ]

MikeD,
you should see the guys that are lower on the priority list and are PAYING for this medical care - they have longer waits, and co-pays!!!! Sorry, I'll take my free government-issued grave marker, and go about my way.

The wounded that are coming back from this war are going to have even more trouble. Well, it was right around the time this war started that the President recommended cutting the spending in the VA healthcare system, and closing several of the medical facilities. All the while, he's asking for more money to fight this war! Who is going to suffer next? School lunches? pre-school? Oh, wait...already happened....

Oncurrent receipt needs to end. That is one beef I have with the current administration.

Hey...I guess I should get my DD-214 updated....or not.

[ QUOTE ]
Oncurrent receipt needs to end. That is one beef I have with the current administration.

Hey...I guess I should get my DD-214 updated....or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Concurrent reciept laws are complete B.S.!! It's amazing that the government refuses to hook up those military personnel that not only sacrificed permanent disabilities in support of this nation, but also continued to serve until they were eligible for retirement! There's not much more you could ask for from a service member, yet the U.S. government is pretty much saying, "One or the other...".

I love my country, and I think it's the best thing around....but theres alot that needs to be fixed, and we all need to raise hell until it is....

mtsu_av8er, I do not think for one second that you are un American ..and I too feel we should spend more money within the US for our own people..and I too was going to mention how we shiit on our Vets.. They shut down the huge VA hospital in San Diego a few years ago ( along with many others across the USA) and I feel that that is very very sad. with that being said..that does not change what I said before...I feel it is good for us to be in both Iraq and Afghanistan... We need to be there..

[ QUOTE ]
mtsu_av8er, I do not think for one second that you are un American ..and I too feel we should spend more money within the US for our own people..and I too was going to mention how we shiit on our Vets.. They shut down the huge VA hospital in San Diego a few years ago ( along with many others across the USA) and I feel that that is very very sad. with that being said..that does not change what I said before...I feel it is good for us to be in both Iraq and Afghanistan... We need to be there..

[/ QUOTE ]

I do believe that we have some responsibilities in the rest of the world...as a member of the U.N. We just can't afford it, and it's not worth the loss.

Now, I could mess this up, but I'm going to attempt to say what I'm thinking, and relay the correct message...
crazy.gif

I'd like to think of it as being analogous to a household budget, and the responsibilities involved. If after you pay your rent, you only have enough to pay for either the electricity or groceries, you have to choose one...and suck it up.

Now, if you DON'T pay the electricity so that you may pay the neighbor's bill.....

Well, not only is that irresponsible, but it makes you an idiot.

Back