Mike Rowe on peeing in the CRJ-700

Personally I don't see the CR7 as a bad plane; what sucks is the lav layout when the rear lav goes "COACH ONLY" in a two-class configuration. If that leg of my itinerary is over 2 hours, I'd be wary...

Hell, I personally think a 190 in a two-class is a little worse, but maybe that's just me.

Personally, I think anything over an hour is complete torture on any CRJ. United's RJ product/service is pretty bad, look at some of the other routes they fly with the CRJ7... MSP-LAX, SFO-AUS, etc. UA would put an RJ on EWR-LAX if they could. At least DL has made some effort to make the ride a little better with Wifi, Economy Comfort, Food for Sale, and First Class meals.

Personally, I think anything over an hour is complete torture on any CRJ. United's RJ product/service is pretty bad, look at some of the other routes they fly with the CRJ7... MSP-LAX, SFO-AUS, etc. UA would put an RJ on EWR-LAX if they could. At least DL has made some effort to make the ride a little better with Wifi, Economy Comfort, Food for Sale, and First Class meals.

Meh... I am always asleep in the back of an RJ.

That and I was under the impression that the wifi is usually deferred.

Meh... I am always asleep in the back of an RJ.

That and I was under the impression that the wifi is usually deferred.
I can count on one hand how many times out wifi is deferred. The passengers go nuclear meltdown mode when the FA's make the announcement.

It was kind of like our agreement with CAL and the Q. If the noise canceling system was out they had to fix it rather quickly. All this is usually covered in the ASA's each company has with the parent.

It was kind of like our agreement with CAL and the Q. If the noise canceling system was out they had to fix it rather quickly.
You definitely didn't work at CommutAir then...running that MEL the full 120 days was practically a badge of honor for them. It was always a surprise to see the HUD not deferred, amazement to see the NVS not deferred, and acceptance that something was due to go wrong if both were supposedly working.

With so many restrooms at the terminal why is that everyone waits until the airplane is in the air to use the bathroom?? It is usually a rat race when the pilot turns off the seat belt sign....

You didn't know that they give away gold bricks in aircraft lavatories?? Where have you been?

The prizes double during the taxi for takeoff and about 5-7 prior to touchdown.

I've been on cross-country and international flights on mainline jets with multiple bathrooms and you still have to use a bit of common sense/strategy to use the lav. Negotiating the aisle between other pax and FAs is an obstacle no matter how big the jet it.

The problem, in my view, is that the flying public is largely unaware of the realistic limitations of moving from point A to point B in an airliner full of other people. Look at how thoughtlessly people behave when boarding and deplaning. I've been in the back of an MD-80 and had the window seat guy literally walk over middle seat guy and myself as soon as the main cabin door opened, only to stand in the aisle for the next 10 minutes while the rest of the plane slowly figured out how to exit.

If you use common sense, going to the lav isn't that big of a challenge. If your bladder suddenly and without warning sends a "GO NOW" signal to your brain, then you probably should see a doctor instead of complaining about an RJ only having 1 lav.

All that said, Mike Rowe is cool.

LMAO. Yeeeeah, call me old school but to me regional jets on 3+ hour flights should really have been considered mainline ops period . . . the misery of having only one crapper for 74 souls (plus crew?) should only be compared to the miserly "regional racket" that airline management was able to devise with the help of SJSed pilots and other self-minded individuals to depress pilot wages and QOL . . . commuter airplane flying with 20 pax and 1-2 hour flights max. should have been where the buck stopped at for that racket :fury:

You definitely didn't work at CommutAir then...running that MEL the full 120 days was practically a badge of honor for them. It was always a surprise to see the HUD not deferred, amazement to see the NVS not deferred, and acceptance that something was due to go wrong if both were supposedly working.

Ehh not many of the HUDs are MELd anymore that I've seen. About 75% of them work, and about 75% of the Captains don't use them.

NVS is another story, where they defer it 120 days and act surprised when the MEL expires. It's funny though because about 2 years back we had more 300s lined up and United said no because they didn't have the NVS system.

Back