Mid-Air Collision video, 2002 involving DHL

mpenguin1

One of the wrost mid-air collision in that last few years. Bashkirian Airlines Flight 2937, registration RA-85816, was a Tupolev 154M passenger jet en route from Moscow, Russia to Barcelona, Spain. DHL Flight 611, registration A9C-DHL, was a Boeing 757-200 cargo jet flying from Bergamo, Italy to Brussels, Belgium. The two aircraft collided in mid-air on July 1, 2002 at 21:35 (UTC) over Überlingen, Germany (near Lake Constance), killing all 71 aboard both aircraft. German investigators determined that the accident had been caused by problems within the air traffic control system[1]; and the controller who was on duty at the time, Peter Nielsen, was later stabbed to death by an architect who lost his wife and both of his children in the accident

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7025897569830845243

that was horrible! that was an air emergency special. i think it is the same show named differently depending on what ountry it is airing.

that was a chilling video to see. when the father finds his own daughter...Then what drives him to murder...I cannot begin to fathom what he was feeling.

It's a great video, thanks for posting. It's sad that the accident like this happens and really only thing to blame is the confusion about which procedures to use when it should be perfectly clear before hand.
I've read a few reports on TCAS incidents and accidents and there were even cases where both conflicting aircraft ignored the TCAS and they came out fine, or the various combinations of TCAS and ATC instructions. It's like a hit and miss game. These procedural things should be perfectly clear and pilots trained on before the whole world gets to use them. Once in the sky we don't have time to think twice about what to do if TCAS says "descent, descent" The ICAO dropped the ball on that one too.

That's a cold wake up call about what responsibility we have as pilots. I try to base my decisions when I'm flying like I have my family on board and what would I do.

Resolution advisory is the TCAS mode II if I'm not mistaken, and TCAS mode I is used just to tell you there is traffic but doesn't provide any resolution.

"Avoidable/preventable" as this incident could have been. . .I can't help but to believe that unavoidable "destiny" caused this incident to happen. . .I mean, how oh so many nearly impossible but coincidental intangibles came into play at the exact moment for this to occur. Even with TCAS. . .gosh, they still collided. . .and then, for the father to find his own daughter?

It's chilling. . .even as I watched the whole documentary.

Back