Microsoft Flight 2020

Richman

That's "Lord Garth" to you
Am I the only one who finds flight sims where you’re not blowing things up to be incredibly boring?
Different strokes for different folks. When my GF calls, she asks if I’ve been killing monsters (WOW), blowing up ships (also WOW, but world of warships) or stomping pedestrians (MWO).

She gives me a hard time, but she’s always playing games on her iPad, and those games all seem mindless to me.

If I want zany ATC antics, I can go to work, or if I want to see zany uncontrolled field antics, I can go out and cavort with the Bonanza.

How is it for IFR procedures? I’m just curious, how much would a computer cost to run this? I think I’m going to hold out of the Xbox version

ZeroPapaGolf

Yep. Pretty much everything but running around in a Cub really sucks. I fired up X-Plane 11 after using only FS2020 for about a week, and it was brilliant to have planes that fly properly, avionics that work, and near-triple-digit FPS. For IFR procedures I wouldn't consider anything but X-Plane.

woodreau

Am I the only one who finds flight sims where you’re not blowing things up to be incredibly boring?
Before I became an airline pilot, I would run VRS Super Hornet on FS X. And i’d fly that around. high level, low level. it would try to simulate using the onboard APG radar to try to intercept the AI traffic, and you could shoot air to air, and air to ground. but it was FS X and I don’t think it actually killed anything when the missile/bombs hit. Have no idea how realistic it was. But it had a table of drag indexes to compute asymmetric drag due to ordnance stations not being symmetric.

the flight model was a dog when you were fully loaded with all drop tanks full of fuel. Flew better with just a center line tank.

made me look up the natops for it when I still had access to them.

Max Power

Sucks for everything but bush flying.
Yeah, until the third party folks start working on add ons ( I guess downloadable content is the proper new speak for it) it’s garbage except to fly around in small planes and land in fields. The Cub variations are awesome.

poser765

So what’s the deal with not being able to adjust control sensitivities? Apparently the last patch broke it.

smack300

How is it for IFR procedures? I’m just curious, how much would a computer cost to run this? I think I’m going to hold out of the Xbox version
The TBM is the best option to do most things in terms of IFR in a plane that actually moves faster than the 172. But it is still lacking. I was messing around the Longitude last night and it seems to be better than it was. But even scrolling for the alt select knob takes forever, lots of little things that make flying with the autopilot a nightmare.

The patch did do quite a few things to help the jets fly around but don't expect if you fly the 320 irl to fire it up and know how to do it in game.
Link to the patch notes if anyone is interested.

They did reduce load in times though which was the biggest improvement by far.

poser765

The TBM is the best option to do most things in terms of IFR in a plane that actually moves faster than the 172. But it is still lacking. I was messing around the Longitude last night and it seems to be better than it was. But even scrolling for the alt select knob takes forever, lots of little things that make flying with the autopilot a nightmare.

The patch did do quite a few things to help the jets fly around but don't expect if you fly the 320 irl to fire it up and know how to do it in game.
Link to the patch notes if anyone is interested.

They did reduce load in times though which was the biggest improvement by far.
Jesus Christ they REDUCED load times?? I can’t imagine how bad it was before.
Also in the process of fixing some things it seems they broke the 320. I can’t keep both engines running longer than a minute or two before number 1 dies. I mean, I get it’s a NEO, but come on

smack300

Jesus Christ they REDUCED load times?? I can’t imagine how bad it was before.
Also in the process of fixing some things it seems they broke the 320. I can’t keep both engines running longer than a minute or two before number 1 dies. I mean, I get it’s a NEO, but come on
Ctrl + E is your friend.

And yea, it took forever even to just get to the screen that says "press any key to continue". So if you walked away and came back to that screen you still had a while to wait. I heard they had to put that in there because of some xbox rule on how long wait times can be before you get to a screen you can interact with.

poser765

Ctrl + E is your friend.

And yea, it took forever even to just get to the screen that says "press any key to continue". So if you walked away and came back to that screen you still had a while to wait. I heard they had to put that in there because of some xbox rule on how long wait times can be before you get to a screen you can interact with.
Crtl+does nothing. Completely dead fan. N2 will keep at around 40-50% but absolutely no N1. At first I was afraid I’d forgotten how to fly the aircraft I’m typed in, but I don’t think that’s it.

smack300

Crtl+does nothing. Completely dead fan. N2 will keep at around 40-50% but absolutely no N1. At first I was afraid I’d forgotten how to fly the aircraft I’m typed in, but I don’t think that’s it.
Weird, I have not seen that yet. But I know lots of people are having problems with it, especially after this last patch.

WacoFan

Bigly
I sorta get flight Sims. I mean I'd certainly never pay a pile of money to hyper-realistically fly the same appliance I (less realistically?) mostly watch fly itself at work, but exploring the world in a Cub...yes please. Virtual ATC, though? That someone, somewhere, wishes to simulate standing in a windowless room with a 1960s CRT and a hip-mounted mic-clicker...
Or you know...you could get a Cub/T-craft/Champ and explore the world on your days off.

EDIT: Actually - scratch all that. Get a Luscombe. You like unfairly maligned airplanes (MU2). Luscombe (for some reason) has a "reputation" for...simply doing what the pilots feet input it to do, somewhat quicker than other peer airplanes. For this reason they have historically lagged on resale price compared to 120/140's, and others.

FlyingAccountant

It's still buggy as hell.

I tried to fly the TBM900 yesterday. The engine start sequence is wrong, but I figured out a workaround for it. I tried to fly KIWA-KSEA and the damn thing CTD'd on me before I got out of the state of Arizona. It's fun for bush flying and VFR type stuff, but it seems to struggle with anything more complex than that because of unfinished buggy aircraft and a propensity to CTD in the more complex airplanes.

Cessnaflyer

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
It's still buggy as hell.

I tried to fly the TBM900 yesterday. The engine start sequence is wrong, but I figured out a workaround for it. I tried to fly KIWA-KSEA and the damn thing CTD'd on me before I got out of the state of Arizona. It's fun for bush flying and VFR type stuff, but it seems to struggle with anything more complex than that because of unfinished buggy aircraft and a propensity to CTD in the more complex airplanes.
Yeah my 7 year old son loves it. Beyond that I am wholly unimpressed.

poser765

Yeah my 7 year old son loves it. Beyond that I am wholly unimpressed.
I wouldn’t mind the CTDs if it didn’t take 11.5 minutes to get back into the cockpit.
I’d also be a lot more happy if I could adjust the sensitivity on my game pad. Right now it’s so touchy I’ll I have to do is put my thumb in the stick and think about moving it and the game detects that. Oh and how about mouse controls so I don’t have to use a damn game pad in the first place.

Cessnaflyer

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
I wouldn’t mind the CTDs if it didn’t take 11.5 minutes to get back into the cockpit.
I’d also be a lot more happy if I could adjust the sensitivity on my game pad. Right now it’s so touchy I’ll I have to do is put my thumb in the stick and think about moving it and the game detects that. Oh and how about mouse controls so I don’t have to use a damn game pad in the first place.
Lots of things I miss like instantly changing location, aircraft and conditions without having to go back out to the main menu and load forever. Beyond that an aircraft larger than a cub that has useable avionics. Also, who the hell flys in North up orientation. Grumble, grumble....

poser765

Lots of things I miss like instantly changing location, aircraft and conditions without having to go back out to the main menu and load forever. Beyond that an aircraft larger than a cub that has useable avionics. Also, who the hell flys in North up orientation. Grumble, grumble....
lol ok so you CAN'T do those things! I thought I was just an idiot and was missing the control somewhere. The amount of times I've been mashing old FS9 or FSx buttons to do things has been ridiculous.