Microsoft Flight 2020

Dphoenix

Love lasagna, hate mondays
Alright, I can't get over how realistic the visuals in this game are. The shadows and the light are just ridiculous. I'm having a blast, especially since I haven't touched an aircraft since the start of April. I did the first few tutorials just to get the feel for things, and then the Courcheval landing challenge.
a320.png

747.png

I did a KPDX-KGEG leg in the Airbus and tried to learn airbus-ology. Didn't pick up as much in those times jumpseating if I thought, but I managed to get it there on the ground. Did a flyby of KSEA and the space needle in a 172.
Then I did a KJFK landing in the 747, my Boeing experience translated a lot better thankfully, but although I had autoland armed and flare mode showed up armed... it just... didn't and ran right into the ground, bouncing, then rolling to the side and giving me the "you died" message. I started laughing hysterically, cause I totally expected it to autoland.
Then I took a Icon A5 outta Heathrow, did a 360 around the shard, a water stop and go in the thames, and then a landing in London City airport. I never have been a flight simmer really, I didn't play FSX hardly at all, but this one is just super fun so far.

Dphoenix

Love lasagna, hate mondays
I'm running it on a (cue copy and paste) Razer Blade 15 Gaming Laptop 2019: Intel Core i7-9750H 6 Core, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Max-Q, 15.6" FHD 1080p 240Hz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD. I bought it in November for $2399. It runs it on high. However... after about 30 min, the GPU hits 91C and the CPU 100C and it starts throttling and running like absolute garbage. Probably going to call Razer tomorrow and yell at them and see what they say. Vapor chamber cooling doesn't seem to work as great as Razer says it does. Pretty frustrated about it, actually.

Edit: So fun, razer app somehow had the fans limited to about.. half. Manually. I set it to "auto"... hopefully that fixes it. I definitely did not manually select the fan speed. Grr.

Last edited:

Brn N Rubr

I’m really impressed with it as well so far. I’ve only been flying the light stuff for fun (X Cub and A5). Lots of things to explore. Don’t forget to look for all the fauna as well.
It runs really well on my 2ish year old Alienware R7 w/i7-8700 (not a K), GTX 970, and 16gig of RAM. It defaulted to the second highest graphics setting.

deadstick

I was thinking about getting this, but don’t want to have to get a Cray or Sun just to run it.

Is CGX still the default airport?

Murdoughnut

Well sized member
There's some pretty funny rendering errors out there on the interwebs today. Things that will naturally get worked out (you can't expect them to render the entire globe with complete accuracy).

My favorite is the building that's in the middle of my alma mater's (Texas Tech) football field.

CaptainYoda

I'm running it on a (cue copy and paste) Razer Blade 15 Gaming Laptop 2019: Intel Core i7-9750H 6 Core, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Max-Q, 15.6" FHD 1080p 240Hz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD. I bought it in November for $2399. It runs it on high. However... after about 30 min, the GPU hits 91C and the CPU 100C and it starts throttling and running like absolute garbage. Probably going to call Razer tomorrow and yell at them and see what they say. Vapor chamber cooling doesn't seem to work as great as Razer says it does. Pretty frustrated about it, actually.

Edit: So fun, razer app somehow had the fans limited to about.. half. Manually. I set it to "auto"... hopefully that fixes it. I definitely did not manually select the fan speed. Grr.
Set the fans to "hair dryer" mode and put on a noise cancelling headset (preferably Bose) and run that over priced space heater at ULTRA.

Low&Slow

Ancora imparo
Alright, I can't get over how realistic the visuals in this game are.
Not in London.

Microsoft Flight Simulator turns Buckingham Palace into Block of Flats
Microsoft Flight Simulator is, in many ways, a masterpiece of AI and machine learning, powerful enough to have mapped out a scale model of the entire planet. With that much ground to cover, however, there were always going to be a few mistakes.
On a virtual trip around London, the BBC found that landmarks like The Shard and the Houses of Parliament were more or less intact. Sadly though, many of the bridges that would help you get to them had mysteriously sunk into the Thames. Elsewhere, the AI has had to guess at the textures it wants to apply to specific buildings; most notable is Buckingham Palace, which has had its Neoclassical architecture replaced with that of a generic block of flats.
The palace is, at least, where it's supposed to be, unlike some other landmarks - the Gherkin is entirely absent from the simulation. I'm prepared to cut developer Asobo Studios some slack, however, especially because its new take on London is a perfect practice run for what'll happen if the 'Eat the Rich' gang ever come good on their threats.

FloridaLarry

What new piece of software ever ran completely right out of the box? Those of us who buy it immediately (which I usually am not, but for this one, I'm. waiting for the new motherboard, CPU, graphics and SSD to jump into the full-tower cabinet). Then I'll load it.

Part of the fun in being an early adopter (besides bragging / griping rights) is the joy of doing a bunch of updates and bug-fixes while they do the last 10% of software development. Equally true of games, personal software and business apps.

Box hauler

It’s pretty amazing if you have the hardware to run it. One of my main gripes so far is that on the Bus at least, most of the overhead panel switches don’t do anything and you can’t really interact with the systems at all.

Screaming_Emu

Joe Conventional
Definitely planning on building a computer so I can get this one day, but I'm doing enough dumb pilot financial stuff in the mean time that it'll have to wait.

If any of you guys have any experience with this on a crappy internet connection can you report back? I live in the boonies and we have this internet over LTE device that works well enough to stream stuff, but not that great. I'll definitely be going the "download ahead of time" route.

tlove482

Definitely planning on building a computer so I can get this one day, but I'm doing enough dumb pilot financial stuff in the mean time that it'll have to wait.

If any of you guys have any experience with this on a crappy internet connection can you report back? I live in the boonies and we have this internet over LTE device that works well enough to stream stuff, but not that great. I'll definitely be going the "download ahead of time" route.
Yeah, that 50 megabit internet requirement is going to hurt a lot of people. I'm guessing it will run on less but not as well?

FloridaLarry

My computer upgrade will probably cost me half of what a brand new one would. Last full rebuild was in 2014, so was about time. Case is fine, keyboard & mouse are fine, keeping most of the hard drives (half are SSD). New motherboard, CPU & cooling for it,16 G memory and video board w/ 4G memory. While I was at it, I added a 1 TB on Mo-Bo SSD. After I see how Flight Sim works, may need to add another 16G of MoBo memory.

I'll end up with a nice fast machine but not the fastest screamer, for about $1K.

smack300

You can run it without a constant internet connection. There is the option at the beginning and in the settings menu. It does download quite a bit of data, but turning off that feature should help a bit.

The graphics are unreal in this game. But good lord loading times are gonna be the death of me.