Metro Detroit

Otto123

I was wondering if anyone knew of any single engine piston or turbine operations in the metro Detroit area? It can be any type of commercial operation.

Just looking to make contact with these types of companies given I don't have my CMEL yet. I recently spoke with an owner/operator and he said that many of the companies will hire low time pilots so they can train them "their" way. He also said the pay is really low but at this point, that is ok with me. I really just want the experience. So given that I only have my CSEL right now, I am looking to walk into these companies and introduce myself.

You're still going to have to be more specific, or you can just start walking into airports with a stack of resumes and seeing if anybody will bite.

There are a handful of people here that live in, or are from the southeast Michigan area, but you might want to nail things down a little more specifically.

Also, you've gotta consider that there are A LOT of out of work pilots right now that all have MUCH better qualifications than you. I'm furloughed from Express and I'm planning on moving back to Michigan in the spring. With that, I'll probably be looking for a flying gig for a few months and I've got all my flight instructor certificates, 135 time, 121 time and an EMB-145 SIC.

With your time, I'd recommend you go get your flight instructor certificate.

No, I completely understand where I actually do stand within the industry. The information I am looking for (that being companies in the area that operate commercially with single engine aircraft) is information that I would like to use to not only meet and greet these people, but to gain experience as to how they operate, etc. I am currently in the process of training for my CFI/I tickets...I would just like to put my foot in the door so to speak prior to actually arriving there.

Again, I do understand that this industry is who you know and flight experience (not always in that order). Even if I don't get paid, but can sit right seat for some trips, then I would think that that is great experience not only for myself, but also to pass along to my future students who are looking to move on commercially with their license.

Simply put, I am just trying to gain knowledge of operations and possibly/hopefully be called on to fly on occasion. I am of the mindset that if I don't try, then I'll never know.

Ok there ya go, that's the kinda information we need.

I'm sure SteveC and Bandit_Driver will have some input here once they see this thread.

Thanks JTrain. So you are heading back here to Michigan, does that mean that there really are jobs here in Michigan? LOL.

Nope, I'm furloughed and planning on going to law school in the fall! I'm done flying for a living at this point.

Who knows, maybe I won't get into law school and then I'll have to go back to flying for a living.

I started my training at Tradewinds...PTK. Then in St. Louis and then JXN.

I would say Go Blue...but I'd be kind of embarrassed to associate with them, lol.

Check out IFL in PTK. I don't know their current hiring status, but they historically hired lower time pilots into the right seat of Convairs and Falcons. Be careful with some charter operators in SE Michigan right now. Many are inherently linked with the automobile industry. (Well, who I am kidding the entire economy is linked with the auto industry.) Without naming names, companies that were historically secure are bracing themselves for a downturn.

There are alot of charter ops out of Pontiac as well.

As for Michigan, we knew this was going to be a tough year with the loss of the seniors and the new coach/offense being implemented.

They show promise though, I believe they will be quite formidable in a few years once Richrods Offence gets recruited.

Are you currently living in Ann Arbor?

Very true...and with the big three looking pretty gloomy in the future, it will be interesting to see the aviation industry here and whether or not it too crumbles. It was always nice to see the Daimler Airbus on the BC 27L at PTK.

Otto,

I definately would finishes your CMEL and CFI/I ratings ASAP. I do know but Pontiac Flight Service/Flight 101 at PTK used to have a traffic watch service in a 172. They normally used their CFI's for it and let their CFI's ride co-pilot in the C421's and King Airs on their days off. They paid about $50 + expenses on the charter trips. No healthcare or other perks...

Across the field you have Tradewinds for another CFI job and their CFI can move up into their charter division Corporate Eagle

When you do have a little more experience there is Royal Air Freight and IFL on PTK field that hire 135 SIC's

In Willow Run you have a hand full of flight schools with the Eagle Flight Center standing out in my mind for a CFI job.

Also Kalitta Charters operates Lear 20 series and Falcon 20 aircraft out that field and have been know to hire low time pilots. They are about the best paying that I know in area for 135 freight. If you fly you can make some good money.

Again your best bet would be to finish your CMEL and CFII and start instructing to build some time up while trying to get your foot in the door at a charter company. If you want you can also toss your resume at the regionals but I doubt any will bite right now.

Don't for get most places will want you within 20-30 minutes of the field.

Otto,

I definately would finishes your CMEL and CFI/I ratings ASAP. I do know but Pontiac Flight Service/Flight 101 at PTK used to have a traffic watch service in a 172. They normally used their CFI's for it and let their CFI's ride co-pilot in the C421's and King Airs on their days off. They paid about $50 + expenses on the charter trips. No healthcare or other perks...

Across the field you have Tradewinds for another CFI job and their CFI can move up into their charter division Corporate Eagle

When you do have a little more experience there is Royal Air Freight and IFL on PTK field that hire 135 SIC's

In Willow Run you have a hand full of flight schools with the Eagle Flight Center standing out in my mind for a CFI job.

Also Kalitta Charters operates Lear 20 series and Falcon 20 aircraft out that field and have been know to hire low time pilots. They are about the best paying that I know in area for 135 freight. If you fly you can make some good money.

Again your best bet would be to finish your CMEL and CFII and start instructing to build some time up while trying to get your foot in the door at a charter company. If you want you can also toss your resume at the regionals but I doubt any will bite right now.

Don't for get most places will want you within 20-30 minutes of the field.

CRocket...Yes, I do currently live in A2. One of the best places to live in metro Detroit in my opinion.

Bandit Driver...First of all, thank you for your input. I am currently searching for a qualified instructor to take me on for my CFI/I tickets. There doesn't seem to be too many in the area...a lot of 1 year CFI's.

I know PTK is one of the better places to check with all of the different operations up there. I will say though that Tradewinds is no longer on the training side of things. They folded and are now just flying charter operations. IFL up there is a great place and I do know a few people that have worked for them. I just haven't been able to find out if they are hiring for one, and what they are looking for if they are.

YIP is another good place and closer to home for sure. LOL...I have to say, I am not so sure about Kalitta after their downed aircraft. Honestly, I think they run a good operation, just misfortunes I suppose.

I feel that you are right though that the CFI tickets are the way to go. Besides, I really would like to instruct but am not sure I would be able to help support my family just instructing, especially here in Michigan with such crappy weather part of the year.

Thanks to all of you for the advice and information.

Back