MEPS & Flight Physical Issue

Stratopilot

Hi Guys,

I'm working towards getting my WO packet together, I have my test scores, Letters of Rec. etc., and otherwise highly competitive. The next step is my MEPS and Flight Physical. Here is where I run in to a problem.

In order to meet the vision standards I had to get LASIK done (which is approved now for helo pilots). During the initial exam, the optometrist quickly labeled me a "glaucoma suspect". The odd thing is that my IOP's were not within the limits to be considered "ocular hypertensive". However, my optic nerve was on the large side of big, a condition I've had my entire life. After reviewing the Army Medical Policy Letters, I've learned that optic nerve size alone is not considered evidence of glaucoma.

So here is my problem...

When I fill out the application, one of the conditions on there is "Pre-Glaucoma" which in other words is "Glaucoma Suspect". Because I certainly don't want to lie, I'm going to check "yes". Now the question is, even though I check "yes", will it prevent me from going to MEPS? I understand that the Army does it own tests. In other words, if I'm a "glaucoma suspect" to ONE particular doctor, will MEPS take a look at me and come to their own conclusion based on THEIR own physical and policy?

Should I forward the medical records to MEPS so they can take a look at them before I go in for my physical?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I'm not sure what constitutes "Pre-Glaucoma" but if your IOC is within limits and optic nerve size isn't considered evidence of glaucoma as you said I'm not sure why you would be "glaucoma suspect".

Was this a diagnosis or just something mentioned in passing during your pre-op exam? You can try to get an explanation from the optometrist but I'd be careful about trying to self-diagnose something in the name of transparency, it could cause a lot of unnecessary problems.

When I went to MEPS we were examined by the doc and you could always bring it up with him to add in his notes or comments on your file if you're unsure. It shouldn't stop you from going to MEPS and to be honest the MEPS physical doesn't really matter all that much. The only eye tests they'll do will probably be for visual acuity, depth perception, and color vision; I doubt they'll look at your optic nerve. It will only be a problem during your flight physical I'd assume, at which point the Army can decide for itself if it's a problem.

I'm no lawyer. I'm no doctor. I don't know what Pre-Glaucoma or Glaucoma suspect is. All I know is you can get medical marijuana in California if you have Glaucoma.

Do.Not.Tell.Them.Anything.Disqualifying.About.You ... if there's any nomenclature issue like this. If you're pre-glaucoma or suspect, whatever they want to call it, let them tell you. Don't disqualify yourself in this instance.

Good luck. Get some. 'Mericuh.

I'm no lawyer. I'm no doctor. I don't know what Pre-Glaucoma or Glaucoma suspect is. All I know is you can get medical marijuana in California if you have Glaucoma.

Do.Not.Tell.Them.Anything.Disqualifying.About.You ... if there's any nomenclature issue like this. If you're pre-glaucoma or suspect, whatever they want to call it, let them tell you. Don't disqualify yourself in this instance.

Good luck. Get some. 'Mericuh.

I agree. At least I would like to. What happens if they pull the medical record from the LASIK place with "glaucoma suspect" all over it during my security investigation? Good bye security clearance and hello "other than honorable discharge".

If it were my ass and career on the line, I'd answer what the question asked. Pre-Glaucoma is not Glaucoma Suspect. Could be totally different for all I know. Let them sort it out.

Let us know how it turns out. Best of luck.

Back