MEL item.

Goreman11

So a item gets MEL'd. The item does not call for pulling the circuit breaker and collaring it. However shouldn't a not active electrical component be pulled?

That breaker may also power more than just the single item. Example (a stupid one mind you), in the Caravan the clock circuit breaker also powers the hour meter.

Another example would be if one of the nav or comm radio displays was acting up (when bot are combined). If you pull the breaker you kill the whole thing, whereas you can just MEL the individual item and continue using the radio itself.

Depends. One NAV light is out, you don't pull the NAV light circuit breaker because then you would lose them all. In my experience (flying not maintenance) the components that have their respective circuit breakers pulled are ones that potentially could have a risk of fire or out of control situation on that component. Example: the lav motor that runs continuously. They pull the circuit breaker because obviously you don't want it running continuously because it could cause a fire. The auto function of the pack is running away. You can use the manual function so they MEL it but they still pull the auto function circuit breaker so if you accidentally select the auto function, it won't run away and cause a fire.

As others have said, the MEL is written very carefully and with certain reason...if it doesn't call for it then you don't do it...and there is a reason for that.

Did what that wasn't in the MEL?

OK, I don't normally insert myself in these issues, but allow me to translate for unclenobby who's apparently posting from some place where it's 1700LT :biggrin::

Was the item in question specifically addressed in the MEL for YOUR airplane/airline ? And, are you just asking about the MEL not requiring the c/b to be pulled & collared to defer this particular item ? Tell us you didn't allow MTC to defer an inop item that wasn't specifically mentioned in YOUR MEL ...and send you on your way. :D

Last edited:
The item was the prop anti ice. The particular plane has the electric boots. The MEL allows it to be inoperative. It says nothing about pulling and collaring the breakers. But they did. When I see a new MEL item, I always double check the number because of past incidents. It was then I realized it said nothing about pulling the breaker.

The item was the prop anti ice. The particular plane has the electric boots. The MEL allows it to be inoperative. It says nothing about pulling and collaring the breakers. But they did. When I see a new MEL item, I always double check the number because of past incidents. It was then I realized it said nothing about pulling the breaker.
What airplane? Your picture looks suspiciously like a caravan and if that is the case pulling the prop heat CB would probably render the low airspeed awareness system inoperative. Which, I guess, since you're limited to non-icing conditions anyway with no prop heat I guess isn't that big a deal, but it should also be listed on the MEL in that case.

Last edited:
What airplane? Your picture looks suspiciously like a caravan and if that is the case pulling the prop heat CB would probably render the low airspeed awareness system inoperative. Which, I guess, since you're limited to non-icing conditions anyway with no prop heat I guess isn't that big a deal, but it should also be listed on the MEL in that case.

Isnt the low airspeed awareness system of the pitot heat? I will have to look into when I get the chance. And yes witht the prop anit ice inop you would be limited any way.

Isnt the low airspeed awareness system of the pitot heat? I will have to look into when I get the chance. And yes witht the prop anit ice inop you would be limited any way.
Not in ours. You turn the prop heat on and the laa light illuminates briefly.

Not all MMELs are well thought out either.

You can't MEL the autopilot in the BeechJet without grounding the airplane.

To correctly MEL the autopilot you must pull AFCS1 and 2 circuit breakers. Doing so makes the Rudder Boost inop. The rudder boost is required to be operative for all take offs.

Back