MEI Staff Rates

I'm doing MEI right now at staff rates. It has costed me $2400 so far, and I'm still on lesson 13. Dick Schultz gave me an estimate of $5000 for my MEI back in August. With the fuel prices going down, the total estimate might have been changed but is still close enough.

I stayed with UND for my MEI because I had 0 multi-PIC time. If you have 15 or more hours of multi-PIC, I'd suggest looking for another school.

I'm doing MEI right now at staff rates. It has costed me $2400 so far, and I'm still on lesson 13. Dick Schultz gave me an estimate of $5000 for my MEI back in August. With the fuel prices going down, the total estimate might have been changed but is still close enough.

I stayed with UND for my MEI because I had 0 multi-PIC time. If you have 15 or more hours of multi-PIC, I'd suggest looking for another school.
i had PIC time but still had to do the entire course. overall i spent 4500, but that wasn't only UND staff rates.

if you want to instruct at UND you need to complete the 2nd block of training if you get your MEI elsewhere AFAIK

i had PIC time but still had to do the entire course. overall i spent 4500, but that wasn't only UND staff rates.

if you want to instruct at UND you need to complete the 2nd block of training if you get your MEI elsewhere AFAIK
How many lessons are in that second block? I think I paid 2500 bucks for my MEI outside of UND. Dont you guys get a pay raise if you have your MEI?

11-19, so that would be 9 lessons, plus the DPE Ride when complete.

mine would have cost around 3500 total, if i wouldn't have finished at UND

Where did you get your MEI for only 2500?
Actually I checked and it was 2700, did it at a flight school at Centennial in Denver. I was working there at the time. Executive flight training was the name of the school. I rented the airplane for like 150 and hr. The check ride was not really too bad either.

Wow if you're willing to spend 5k on a MEI then you have money to burn. Besides the MEI program at UND is just stupidly ridiculous. Cheapest/best bet is find a FBO that will rent you some POS twin, get 10 hours alone in it, and then the last 5 with a MEI (which you really won't need cause the ride is one of the easiest you'll get unless you go through UND). If you're not planning on instructing at UND, check out where you want to work first, there still are some flight schools paying or at least helping their instructors get their mei.

=Jason-

Wow if you're willing to spend 5k on a MEI then you have money to burn. Besides the MEI program at UND is just stupidly ridiculous. Cheapest/best bet is find a FBO that will rent you some POS twin, get 10 hours alone in it, and then the last 5 with a MEI (which you really won't need cause the ride is one of the easiest you'll get unless you go through UND). If you're not planning on instructing at UND, check out where you want to work first, there still are some flight schools paying or at least helping their instructors get their mei.

=Jason-
Ride at UND is very easy. and how many FBO's will rent a twin to a low time multi pilot? closest place to GFK is the Jet Center and they want 750TT and 200 Multi w/ a 5 hr checkout to rent the plane.

Thunderbird in FCM will rent a SEMI, but i don't think they will let it go solo

Do aircraft rates become cheaper once your an employee? If i am doing CFii next semester will I get reduced rates if I am working as an instructor?

Ride at UND is very easy. and how many FBO's will rent a twin to a low time multi pilot? closest place to GFK is the Jet Center and they want 750TT and 200 Multi w/ a 5 hr checkout to rent the plane.

Thunderbird in FCM will rent a SEMI, but i don't think they will let it go solo

The ride is easy I was referring more to the oral at UND. At least what they told me while I was going through it, sounded like just nuts. I went up to the first stage check and then switched flight schools. Man reason I wanted to do it was that's when they had the twin star available. I don't know, I didn't have any problem finding a place in Cali. Basically I think all in all I paid 1800-2000 total including the ride also including UND's costs for the first part. You can do it, just might have to go outside ND to find a place.

=Jason-

The ride is easy I was referring more to the oral at UND. At least what they told me while I was going through it, sounded like just nuts. I went up to the first stage check and then switched flight schools. Man reason I wanted to do it was that's when they had the twin star available. I don't know, I didn't have any problem finding a place in Cali. Basically I think all in all I paid 1800-2000 total including the ride also including UND's costs for the first part. You can do it, just might have to go outside ND to find a place.

=Jason-
none of the stages or the offical DPE ride were hard for MEI at UND. the easiest stagechecks i did at this school

I would think if you find a school with a Multi-engine and get your MEI they are going to be pretty happy. I know when i was looking at getting an MEI while instructing in the DC area it took me about 5 seconds to realize it would be pointless. Absolutely no demand for multi at all except maybe one airport. I will be real surprised in the next few years if the few FBO's that have multi's don't get rid of them. It's the best thing UND instructors have going for them is a strong demand for Multi

I would think if you find a school with a Multi-engine and get your MEI they are going to be pretty happy. I know when i was looking at getting an MEI while instructing in the DC area it took me about 5 seconds to realize it would be pointless. Absolutely no demand for multi at all except maybe one airport. I will be real surprised in the next few years if the few FBO's that have multi's don't get rid of them. It's the best thing UND instructors have going for them is a strong demand for Multi
and that demand won't be going away. i have more than got my money back from what i invested in the rating. i won't say how many hours i have now, but even if it did cost me 2,000 more than i needed to spend, i have definetly made it worth it

I say if your going local fbo wise you don't need your mei, but most large flight schools do. In fact, when I was instructing there was such a demand for mei's that I knew of about 5 schools that were giving your MEI for basically nothing. That's gone though now that everything slowed down. I did get over 500 dual given multi in about 7 months though through that school.

=Jason-

I think I have everybody beat with cost...0$!! I was lucky enough to get my MEI for free from UND this past year, and have been loving the multi time ever since!!

Back