MEI or not?

c172captain

hey folks, having a little trouble coming to a decision. Should I get my MEI and build time like that or just go out and do some x-countries? I only need about 50hrs; in my mind the rating wouldn't be worth it for that small amount of time but maybe I'm making excuses lol.

Thanks in advance

c172captain

I've been debating the same thing. What really got me movtivated was the fact that my CFI expires early next year and I might as well get a new rating to renew it!

Might as well get the rating while you do some fun X-Cs. We've combined out Cross Country Adventure with the MEI for a couple people.

Ditto the other folks. If you are going to be paying for the x-c anyway might as well get a rating out of it.

I got my MEI as my initial CFI but a couple of years later I got some of the other CFIs at my flight school their MEIs by doing the exact same thing that I said above. And, since we were all CFIs and building multi-time I didn't charge them for the "training". Just signed them off when we were done punching holes in the sky.

Aside from getting your MEI for the benefits to your career let me suggest you never forget one thing: this is supposed to be fun. My instructional hours logged as an MEI are some of the most fun I have had as an instructor. Don't just look at the rating as a means to an end, look at it as a way to expand your teaching abilities and to strengthen your foundation as a pilot.

Aside from getting your MEI for the benefits to your career let me suggest you never forget one thing: this is supposed to be fun. My instructional hours logged as an MEI are some of the most fun I have had as an instructor. Don't just look at the rating as a means to an end, look at it as a way to expand your teaching abilities and to strengthen your foundation as a pilot.

:yeahthat:

Get what you can! One up on the other guy. C172captain LOL funny.

hey folks, having a little trouble coming to a decision. Should I get my MEI and build time like that or just go out and do some x-countries? I only need about 50hrs; in my mind the rating wouldn't be worth it for that small amount of time but maybe I'm making excuses lol.

Thanks in advance

c172captain

In my short aviation career I've learned to remove the statement, "I only need about..." from my repertoire of assumption-driven declarations.

Besides, you'll save yourself maybe $4K getting the MEI? My assumptions:

Wet commercial ticket ~ 10hrs -> 40hrs to go @ $200/hr = $8,000

15hrs PIC needed for MEI + instruction = 15hr X $250/hr + $300 checkride = $4,050.

Then you can earn yourself 25hrs X $25/hr = $625 more bucks putting you at around $4,500 after Uncle Sam takes his cut.

Leave that in an index fund for 30 years and you walk home with 80k!!! (before Uncle Sam)

So I guess you just need to ask yourself if you want 80k extra when you retire? ;)

In my short aviation career I've learned to remove the statement, "I only need about..." from my repertoire of assumption-driven declarations.

Besides, you'll save yourself maybe $4K getting the MEI? My assumptions:

Wet commercial ticket ~ 10hrs -> 40hrs to go @ $200/hr = $8,000

15hrs PIC needed for MEI + instruction = 15hr X $250/hr + $300 checkride = $4,050.

Then you can earn yourself 25hrs X $25/hr = $625 more bucks putting you at around $4,500 after Uncle Sam takes his cut.

Leave that in an index fund for 30 years and you walk home with 80k!!! (before Uncle Sam)

So I guess you just need to ask yourself if you want 80k extra when you retire? ;)

Well when you put it that way... I have no other choice now do I? :D

Back