Medications

Kestrel452

Hello, I am interested in getting a private pilots license. Would I fail a Class 3 medical exam due to the following medications?

1. Lexapro 10mg (for social anxiety)
2. Strattera 25mg (for mild ADD)

If so, what if I was only on the Strattera?

Both drugs are disqualifying, either together or alone.

The FAA is looking at the reason the drug is prescribed in addition to the adverse effects of the drug.

I just quit taking Lexapro. I was only on it for about 2 weeks because it only hurt me. Now that I am off it, I feel much better. It was giving me too many side effects, it only made things worse. I haven't taken the Strattera for a while either, I have outgrown my ADD for the most part. It was mild to begin with anyways. I can concentrate on things just fine now. Can I go get a medical now?

Regarding Lexapro, you need to be off it for at least 90 days and have a letter from the prescribing doctor giving the current status of the condition for which the Lexapro was prescribed.

Regarding Strattera, you will need to be off it for at least 90 days and have a current status report from the doctor who treated the ADD. Do not be surprised if the FAA asks for a battery of neuropsychological tests for the ADD.

You can go for the medical after the 90 days but it will be deferred to OKC for a final decision.

Back