Medical Question

aviatorchris

Heres my situation,

When I was 9 I had a one time seizure occurance. When I applied for a medical when I was 15 years old, and learning to fly I was denied. In the FAR/AIM it states that "after 5 years with no further complications a medical can be offered." I got a new EKG, and retested and was found to be free of any seizures. So i fought with the FAA for about a year but finally got a 1st class medical.

I recentlly called the medical division of the FAA about this, and they said it shouldnt be an issue. But it was the typical. "O dont worry your little self about that hunny" OKC FAA girl. So who knows.......

Heres my question...When I go to the PEPC, should I still declare this or keep it quiet since its already been reported to the FAA many time before? Has anyone had a situation like this before? And if so, did you bring in backup forms of previous medicals to prove its been reported and been ok'ed?

Thanks for the help,

Chris

You could probably get a better answer if you ask this in the "Ask a Flight Surgeon" forum, rather than relying on us :crazy:

Whatever you do, DO NOT try and keep something like that a secret. Here is a scenario that played out around the academy. A guy doesn't disclose to the flight surgeon that he is on a disqualifying drug (and can't stop taking it). He reports for basics, does well and goes on with training. A week before his PV, the FAA finds out and he gets the boot.

Do you want to be this guy?

I second that..
The FAA already has your records on the old medical, so there's no reason you'd want to hide that. All they would have to do is compare paperwork, and that wouldn't look good at all.

(Plus, if all this was straightened out before, then if you bring all your paperwork to the PEPC, you should be okay)

on your medical app. for the FFA you need to state "as previously reported". Do NOT not tell them. Many a controller has been fired for failing to report the smallest thing on their yearly medical app.

Ok yeah thats what I figured. Just wasnt sure if a medical examiner with a chip on his shoulder would see that and fail me on the spot. Even with prior copies of me getting approved for a 1st class medical.

on your medical app. for the FFA you need to state "as previously reported". Do NOT not tell them. Many a controller has been fired for failing to report the smallest thing on their yearly medical app.

I've held a pilot medical for over 10 years but losing my job due to medical problems is my #1 concern in this biz... And I'm a pretty healthy aside from the odd headache, just need to get back into shape.
I was on some junk for headaches that I've stopped taking so the MD at the PEPC said to cross it off since I wasn't taking it any longer, but it's FAA approved at least.

I've held a pilot medical for over 10 years but losing my job due to medical problems is my #1 concern in this biz... And I'm a pretty healthy aside from the odd headache, just need to get back into shape.
I was on some junk for headaches that I've stopped taking so the MD at the PEPC said to cross it off since I wasn't taking it any longer, but it's FAA approved at least.

Hey Philip, I fly at KAPA. Did you get KAPA as ur facility? Was that a hard place to get for you?

Chris

Hey Philip, I fly at KAPA. Did you get KAPA as ur facility? Was that a hard place to get for you?

Chris
No. APA would be career suicide. It can be almost as busy as VNY and with so much VFR GA traffic and so much jet 91 and 135 traffic, I would imagine that tower is a freaking nightmare.

No. APA would be career suicide. It can be almost as busy as VNY and with so much VFR GA traffic and so much jet 91 and 135 traffic, I would imagine that tower is a freaking nightmare.

I actually drove my FD down 35R back in the day when a single engine Cessna had a gear problem and threw up some sparks :p

This was back in the day when you could pull up to the gate just north of the jet center and buzz in and give your name and drive right out onto the tarmac. Also went up into the tower once when I was about 17, just showed up and asked if I could go up and they were like 'sure, c'mon up!'
Now it's not so easy.

Plus you have all the student traffics doing touch and goes all day.

Oh great! So I guess not drinking the night before.

they'll have you whiz in a cup for the drug test, split it into two samples, then keep a couple drops and dip it right there, normally it'd be done at the medical exam but 2 brids one stone, good thinking on their part.

Back