MD-87 Down KTME 10/19

Always saw that one parked on the ramp there, with another one by the hangars that looked like it was there for parts. Just saw it last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always saw that one parked on the ramp there, with another one by the hangars that looked like it was there for parts. Just saw it last week.

Yup I heard there are two of them on the field—986 and 987. Supposedly 986 has been sitting for years, while 987 has been flying some.

Someone on Reddit claims to have just behind them and posted a photo of the aftermath…already a ton of smoke. She claimed an engine was on fire on the TO roll. There’s some really low power lines off of 36 that it apparently hit and a decent number of homes around there lost power.

@Murdoughnut is right, the guy it’s registered to looks about as old school Houston oilman as you can get. And buying a 40yr old completely uneconomic airliner and tricking it out as a big corporate jet…that’s about as old school Houston oilman as it gets.

Glad everyone got out!

Initially I thought AK might be an ex-AS bird but AS only started using AK tail numbers in the last 10 years. Looks like ex Finnair and Aeromexico.

OH-LMB08/01/1988FinnairCorrect
N204AM14/11/2000AeromexicoRet to lessor 28/02/07Correct
N987AK28/08/2015987 Investments LLC19 Oct 2021 overran runway at KTMECorrect
Assumed the same. My guess is this is where N987AK came from: Flair Builders' founder J. Alan Kent ... identified as the registered agent of the plane.

One more N number now available for Alaska Airlines

1634680904747.png

Last edited:
Yup I heard there are two of them on the field—986 and 987. Supposedly 986 has been sitting for years, while 987 has been flying some.

Someone on Reddit claims to have just behind them and posted a photo of the aftermath…already a ton of smoke. She claimed an engine was on fire on the TO roll. There’s some really low power lines off of 36 that it apparently hit and a decent number of homes around there lost power.

@Murdoughnut is right, the guy it’s registered to looks about as old school Houston oilman as you can get. And buying a 40yr old completely uneconomic airliner and tricking it out as a big corporate jet…that’s about as old school Houston oilman as it gets.

NO, not exactly.

There’s some really low power lines off of 36 that it apparently hit and a decent number of homes around there lost power.

I was there this morning. Houston Exec, even though it's a nice FBO, KTME is out in the sticks. Yea, a few people lost power. "Decent?" OK. . .

Glad no loss of life for sure.

Last edited:
I was there this morning. No homes even close. Houston Exec, even though it's a nice FBO, KTME is out in the sticks.

Meanwhile, utility company CenterPoint Energy said an outage impacting more than 1,800 customers near the scene of the crash was caused by the plane taking out an overhead powerline during takeoff.

I guess I should have said “customers”.

They went off at very high speed by the looks of it. If I remember, there have been a few of these accidents that are flaps/slats not in takeoff config. Wondering if this might be another.

You know what? I stand corrected. Given how "weak" the Texas power grid is, you're absolutely right. One single power line COULD drop that many customers. You're right!

I was on day 3 of a 4 day when the ice storm hit last February. We cancelled in IAH and it turned into a 6 day, with no power or water for 48 hours at the Holiday Inn near IAH. I still get mild PTSD on my rare IAH overnights at that hotel. Somehow we (the 35 other people from my carrier stuck there) got booze and had some fun at least.

You know what? I stand corrected. Given how "weak" the Texas power grid is, you're absolutely right. One single power line COULD drop that many customers. You're right!
Wasn't Enron in Houston too?

Back