Maritime Surveillance King Air Pilot (2500TT)

Wow they use King Airs? The fleet based at my home airport back in Louisiana did the same job with 172s and kids with wet commercial. It was a great time builder because they would literally be out sunrise to sunset, stopping only to refuel.

I've run into fish spotters before and it's ballsy to be flying single engine as far off shore as they'd go, but I know they'd build ridiculous time and make great money.

I believe these guys are more inspecting where fishing's being conducted, the nationality of the vessels and all that, but I could be wrong and if not it sounds really kind of fun.

From what I've learned about similar positions, they are flying contract on behalf of Pacific nations to monitor fishing activities within their national waters.

2-3 month tours in central/western pacific. $275 day rate, $65 a day per diem

company covers housing while away

fulling expecting a furlough on 10/1. casting a wide net but threw this one back in the water. hopefully it works for someone.

Thank you for sharing. Is this for employees or contractors and did they mention the flight time or how the training was going to be conducted? It might not too bad for someone looking to do something different and I imagine the job is about as low stress as it comes.

Thank you for sharing. Is this for employees or contractors and did they mention the flight time or how the training was going to be conducted? It might not too bad for someone looking to do something different and I imagine the job is about as low stress as it comes.

I’m sorry but i don’t have any further details, i was pretty upfront those terms didn’t work for me

No worries. Thank you for sharing for the next pilot as perhaps it'd be an option for someone lower time or really wanting to work in that area as long deployments can work to your advantage if you can get out of paying rent and bills while gone.

IDK, sounds about like $50k a year to work 6 months. Young pilot with minimal debt, paid for car and maybe a basement at moms house might be all over this for an adventure. Could maybe fly contract on their months off, maybe do some flight instructing. Not a horrible sounding idea before settling in with a seniority number and an RJ.

I interviewed with them about 2 years ago. I was interviewed because of my missionary background and lots of over water flying in South East Asia. Additionally my mission board was also based in the Pacific. I guess it was natural for them to seek pilots who had been in the area. The job entails flying over water (1500-2500 feet) either the Marianas and or the Marshall Islands to spot illegal fishing. Illegal fishing is very common in that side of the world. My former mission has a contract flying BE-88 Excalibur with the Palau government which work in coordination with the US Coast Guard. The pilot's responsibility is to report any signs of illegal fishing to an ARINC in SFO (actually in Fremont CA), who relays the information to the Coast Guard. Additional work includes search and rescue as well. Pay was $60-70K, with a 1-2 months on and 1-2 months off (paperwork) Stateside in VA. They prefer 2-3 months on. The base was Majuro in the Marshall islands with the KA-200, flying about 4-6 hours a day. I had been to Majuro and some of the other islands in the Pacific. You can see the whole island in less than 2 hours. Airline services (UA) comes in about 2-3X a week depending on the season.

Last edited:
@Islanderflyer

Thank you for sharing that. How were your accommodations and the cost of living? Did you enjoy the flying and I imagine you'd have weather to fly quite a bit, but what would you average a month and was it all single pilot?

that's what the initial email stated. they did cover accommodations while on deployment.

It is interesting how point of view shifts. A few years ago I would looked at that number and would have been in awe of it. I am now ~ 2700 hour king air pilot and bring in 4 times that amount.

I interviewed with them about 2 years ago. I was interviewed because of my missionary background and lots of over water flying in South East Asia. Additionally my mission board was also based in the Pacific. I guess it was natural for them to seek pilots who had been in the area. The job entails flying over water (1500-2500 feet) either the Marianas and or the Marshall Islands to spot illegal fishing. Illegal fishing is very common in that side of the world. My former mission has a contract flying BE-88 Excalibur with the Palau government which work in coordination with the US Coast Guard. The pilot's responsibility is to report any signs of illegal fishing to an ARINC in SFO (actually in Fremont CA), who relays the information to the Coast Guard. Additional work includes search and rescue as well. Pay was $60-70K, with a 1-2 months on and 1-2 months off (paperwork) Stateside in VA. They prefer 2-3 months on. The base was Majuro in the Marshall islands with the KA-200, flying about 4-6 hours a day. I had been to Majuro and some of the other islands in the Pacific. You can see the whole island in less than 2 hours. Airline services (UA) comes in about 2-3X a week depending on the season.
I was offered this job after a few interviews but turned it down. Went back to military contracting rotations.

Back