Marine F/A - 18 San Diego Crash - Pilot Eject

That’s a bummer. I had a window seat out the left side yesterday coming into SAN and had a great view of MCAS Miramar. Tailwinds to that service member who is no longer with us.

One of the big issues regarding civilian ejection seats, or even just bailing out, is that the aircraft doesn’t just disappear once the crew hits the silk. Once abandon and uncontrolled they can, and have, hit stuff on the ground. Sometimes that stuff has people in it. It’s one thing for a military aircraft, or perhaps civil aicraft; to some extent we all risk paying the ultimate price for our nation’s wellbeing, it’s entirely a different story when it’s some rich bro playing and showing off in an expensive and risky toy.

I have no idea if in this instance sticking with the aircraft would have mattered, and I’m glad the two guys made it. I like seeing unusual aircraft and air shows can be fun. There is however something that rubs me raw about things like this, and I really don’t know to to reconcile it satisfactorily.

We seem to have gotten lucky this time. Insurance will cover the losses ( I hope! ) and there are no funerals…
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC-Ox4eSzlw

Back