Marine corps

CJD

Hey everybody. I'm currently a senior in High School graduating in June and have been searching around for the best way to become a pilot. I've looked at going to the flight academies like Embry, but it just costs too much ya know? So recently I've been looking at the military route, so far, I'm considering the Marines, forget the Air Force or Navy 'cause it's going to take years for a flying spot. Not to mention the dignity and honor you receive as a Marine just outweighs the latter two. I've read somewhere that the Marines have like a guaranteed job placement or something like that kind of program for the airlines as a pilot. Anyone have any information on this? Also, another reason why Marines is that I've loved the Harriers for so long and I'd like to fly 'em. I already went through Air Force, I also know that they got like the best benefits out of all of them, but still, they're like (no offense) couch potatoes when not flying, nor is the boot campl any challenging, heh. So if anyone's got any info on that Marine program please post or email, graduation is coming up and I still don't know how to get there yet, backup choice is to go to Sierra or Embry.

Still gotta have a degree for the Marine program. Find a place to go to school, and call a recruiter.

You'll go to OTS (OCS? whatever...) twice for six weeks each time, probably in the summer between semesters. Also, you are not guaranteed whether it will be fixed wing, or helo, just that you have a slot. Prior fixed wing experience does not make a difference in what you are assigned. It may just help a little while you're in training if you do get picked for fixed-wing.

My friend takes off in April to finish his Officer training for six weeks, then is headed to Pensacola for pilot training. Most of this info. is what he's told me about it.

Of course I'm going to college to get that bachelors. I've looked at that PLC for aviation and its sounds promising at least. Not to mention while I'm in college I get to do that too at the same time. What I meant is if I should just go to the aviation academies or schools and forget going the military and just take that long road down to the airlines, or if I should do both.

[ QUOTE ]
I already went through Air Force, I also know that they got like the best benefits out of all of them, but still, they're like (no offense) couch potatoes when not flying. . .

[/ QUOTE ]

Which benefits? All of the branches pretty much get the same thing. Were there any specifics that you were referring to?

[ QUOTE ]
, they're like (no offense) couch potatoes when not flying, nor is the boot campl any challenging, heh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know pilots went to boot camp.

[ QUOTE ]

You'll go to OTS (OCS? whatever...)

[/ QUOTE ]

ESF,

OTS= Air Force

OCS= all other branches.

Analysis: USAF needs to get it's sh#t together and get with the program!

Since you are going to college you should look at the schools ROTC program. I am sure that will be a big help for you trying to get your degree and do the military route. Good luck

[ QUOTE ]
I've read somewhere that the Marines have like a guaranteed job placement or something like that kind of program for the airlines as a pilot. Anyone have any information on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

CJD,
I am currently going through the PLC program. It is true that you can earn a garaunteed flight slot. Notice that I say "earn," there are several conditions that will apply. If you would like to know about them ask me.

During OCS this summer, I met candidates, with air contracts, from all different colleges. e.g. Riddle, Ohio State, Harvard, Brown... In the end it doesn't matter where you come from because the Marine Corps is going to place a CFII through flight school just as they would an individual with no certificate at all.

If you have anymore questions contact me.

[ QUOTE ]
www.airwarriors.com is devoted to Navy/Marine flight training. There's a lot of gouge and opinions on that board. JetCareers leans a bit twd ANG and USAF, in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only can post what people give me!

If you've got (or have access to) details, t'row 'em at me!
smile.gif

My PPL flight instructor was a Marines F-18 jockey and he was one bad ass dude.

He's also in Forest Gump. When Tom Hanks pulls down his pants he's the marine closest to him adn looks down and grins.

I guess that where he got the call "Hollywood"

I always knew there were three degrees of separation between any pilot and "Top Gun" but Forrest Gump? That's a new one!
smile.gif

Hey I ain't whistlen dixie, this is the real deal

Whats Top Gun?

I know what it is (sheesh), thought I might get to much slack for that one.

[ QUOTE ]
I always knew there were three degrees of separation between any pilot and "Top Gun" but Forrest Gump? That's a new one!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of that, My dad is a dentist, and one of the F14 pilots for the movie Top Gun used to be a patient of his before moving out of the St. Louis Area.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of that, My dad is a dentist, and one of the F14 pilots for the movie Top Gun used to be a patient of his before moving out of the St. Louis Area.

[/ QUOTE ]

TomCatter?

Back to the original question...

I was stuck by the "guaranteed job placement with the airlines" bit. Oh, if only it were true. You can be guaranteed the opportunity to go to flt training in the Marines. However, you'd have to be crazy to think that they'll help you get a job with the airlines. They don't want you to take your fancy stick-wiggling skills to the outside, they want to keep them in the Corps. Hell, if the Corps offered an airline guarantee, we'd have to bolt the doors shut at the OSOs' offices. You may make contacts that will help get a job later, but that's a different animal. If getting the airline hookup is your gig, you'd probably have more luck trying to fly heavies in the USAF or ANG.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TomCatter?

[/ QUOTE ]

No Mike, this is for real, the guy's callsign is Squire check the credits it will be right there. He was a patient of my Dad's while he was younger and his Mother and Father were patients of his until about two years ago.

Back