Management Positions

JimmyCastalano

The company I work for has a DM position, their basic function is to monitor fuel use age by dispatchers actually running the airline.
These clowns are dispatchers who were the ones who messed up the most while working the desk, now they sit there and hide behind a screen harassing dispatchers for using fuel.
These are spineless “yes sir” people. There names have been passed to all other carriers and warned about.

Does anyone else have this type of position?

this sounds like an airline i used to work at, and trust me.. they hate having these conversations just as much as you. stuff like this is always pressure from above.

There are three basic rules of dispatch that if followed will make you life infinitely easier. I will just mention rule number 1:

Have a reason for everything you do.

If you need to add fuel to a flight, have a reason and explain why in the release remarks. You’ll never hear another word from management again.

A previous airline I worked at, where I was union rep, had a shift manager that would yell at dispatchers on the floor because they used too much fuel in his opinion. I nipped that one in the bud real quick. I agree with Luigi. The only thing they should really get on you about is being sure to explain your fuel use in the remarks. They can't dictate how much fuel you use.

The one thing I’ve learned as I’ve continued this career, is that different airlines seem to have different attitudes towards fuel planning. Some seem to be much more stingy about fuel. When it doubt, remark it out. But obviously don’t just throw on fuel just for the warm and fuzzies.

There are three basic rules of dispatch that if followed will make you life infinitely easier. I will just mention rule number 1:

If you need to add fuel to a flight, have a reason and explain why in the release remarks. You’ll never hear another word from management again.
Personal experience, this correct. Basically have a reason and be reasonable. Arrival demand over by a bit? 15-30 minutes hold is great. 60 and a precautionary alternate? Questionable unless you clearly explain in a remark.

That may be what it started as, but unfortunatley I have heard cases of management going so far as to pull up 15 minute increments of arrival demand charts and faulting dispatchers for planning extra fuel based on the 1 hour arrival demand chart in the remarks at certain airlines.

on the flip side, have any dispatchers been scolded(or worse) for fueling too light?
i mean, we all could probably fuel lighter and just RTG or divert at the first sign of a hiccup

on the flip side, have any dispatchers been scolded(or worse) for fueling too light?
i mean, we all could probably fuel lighter and just RTG or divert at the first sign of a hiccup
yep.
In fact one of the managers at my old job literally screamed about it at multiple dispatchers one day.

caused three people to quit in a week's time.

That may be what it started as, but unfortunatley I have heard cases of management going so far as to pull up 15 minute increments of arrival demand charts and faulting dispatchers for planning extra fuel based on the 1 hour arrival demand chart in the remarks at certain airlines.
This. My last shop got a little better when I left but there was a time where if the person auditing your release didn’t agree with the amount or how the remark was worded you’d hear about it quick

sarcasm incoming

In theory we could go the compliance route and min fuel everything everywhere as long as alternates are added when legally required. If management or bridge managers or partner airlines complains after 40+ RTGs and a whole week of diverts we could point to the fuel policy and say hey we are following policy. Might cause them to see what costs more, RTGs and putting it down into random outstations or planned alternates constantly or adding extra fuel when needed.

Sarcasm over

Now obviously this would be impossible due to weather and crews (hopefully) looking at the releases before signing them who would call asking for fuel fuel and more fuel.

One of the guys at my shop has been pulled in being told to put more on. He laughs saying fuel to top of descent and they'll never divert...

Back