Major change? Any advice out there??

foxriderxr1

Hey guys,

So I just wanted to get a few opinions on whether or not a major change is a good idea...

My goal is to be a commercial pilot and a air force guard/reserve pilot (im already enlisted in the air guard) and I do have an interest in business but not enough to make a career out of it unless for some tragic reason I couldn't fly.

So, as of right now I'm a Commercial Aviation major at the University of North Dakota but I am thinking about switching to Aviation Management for a couple of reasons 1) It gives me a backup and some sort of background other than aviation because I will have essentially a business degree but at the same time I will still go all the way through my multi-commercial. 2) It is cheaper for the simple fact that you wont have to go through CFI, CFII, & MEI which would save roughly 15K extra.

After I graduate I am hoping to get a commission/pilot slot in either the air force guard/reserves but that can sometimes take years because most people don’t get it on their first attempt so worst case scenario I don't get it and I have a aviation management degree with all my ratings and around 275TT. Would anyone hire me with that degree from UND and time? Or would I have to then work on my CFI and become a flight instructor for a little while to build time?

Any help, tips, suggestions, or anything would be incredibly helpful!

Thanks again,

Lance

Lance:

Go into airport management and ops. You'll be amazed at what some of the starting salaries are. You can still fly when you find the time.

atp

Would anyone hire me with that degree from UND and time? Or would I have to then work on my CFI and become a flight instructor for a little while to build time?

In today's world, I would say you would need more than 275 hours to get looked at, but in the future, who knows! (and that is no matter where you got your ratings)

Get an internship! Even if it is working the General's office for a bit, it could open doors you never dreamed possible.

Another idea, spend the dollars for the CFI cert, then instruct locally while finishing college. You could graduate with far more than 275 hours and possibly have some of your tuition paid.

Finally, have fun! This is certainly the right time to be in college instead of trying to find a job.

:D What excites you about the damn military crap? Fast jets? Blowing freedom smoke up your bottom? Geesh, save that for last choice! Don't get brainwashed into that garbage. Make yourself a life before signing it away. Give yourself a chance. Think for yourself. Good luck.

275 hours isn't very much at all. You might find a few bottom-feeder commuters that will hire you with that kind of time, but if I were you i'd build a little experience before I looked to move on.

A 121 cockpit with paying passengers in the back is no place for "dual received"

:D What excites you about the damn military crap? Fast jets? Blowing freedom smoke up your bottom? Geesh, save that for last choice! Don't get brainwashed into that garbage. Make yourself a life before signing it away. Give yourself a chance. Think for yourself. Good luck.

Yes, defending our country is absolute garbage.

Cute moustache.

Well, what are we defending it from? Terrorism? Another country? Do you need a country? Can we pick our country?

I never said defending it was garbage, wham. There is a time for everything.

BTW, I was drunk when I typed that but hey, guess I can't help how I truly feel!

I've gone over the line, I'm really upset that I'm too old to join. Sorry.

Don't get brainwashed into that garbage..

I never said defending it was garbage, wham.

Judging from your quotes, I beg to differ.

Please continue to dig yourself deeper. Do you have the guts to tell this to face of a Marine? I have a suspicion that you have all sorts of internet bravado that you wouldn't dare demonstrate in real life.

While people may or may not agree with the Iraq war, the decision isn't made by the troops where to fight or how. If you have a problem with how business is done, you're actually able to change it. Funny thing is, the timing is perfect because you can help change it on November 4th.

Although I personally don't feel that people such as yourself should be granted the hard-earned (by our military!) right to vote.

That would be funny if you'd say that stuff in person to a vet. Most of the Capt's I flew with were vets and I had great admiration for what they did. Especially the ones who I had the pleasure with flying that were still reservist. I sure as hell wouldn't question their motivation. I can only imagine the wrath you'd receive if you would say that to a captain your flying with...

BTW, I was drunk when I typed that but hey...

We need to cut him some slack. Everybody knows your not accountable for your actions if you decide to do something stupid when you are drunk. I'm pretty sure the cops wouldn't even arrest you for crimes you commit, as long as you were drunk when you did them!

Too bad I didn't choose to make myself a life before signing it away. Where was that sage advice when I needed it??

I do apologize for fast talk with out thinking how to put it in best terms. I said in a disrespectful way. It was not intended to our troops but the ones that control them.

If I had a son that was dreaming about military I would try to discourage him because you are right I do not agree with the war in Iraq. If he still signed then I would still feel he was puting too much trust into what he would be fighting for. If you want change then yes you do want me to vote. We should have been out of Iraq many years ago even if I were to say we should have been over there in the first place. I lost a close friend in the marins in Iraq three years ago. Yes, I did say some of these words to him just before he signed. It was a terrible time to join and that is where the anger still sits. I had a few drinks in me and he came to mind as I read foxriders post. Maybe you could tell me what he died for? Peace or freedom? I can't believe it. No slack should be cut, I'm not expecting that. Defending is the key word here and if came down to the word "defend" I would sign today. There have been big mistakes in the top ranks in the past. I don't wish military for anyone at this time. Hey, if it's in your blood then it's in your blood I guess just like my buddy that I couldn't talk it out of.

Back