Maintenance turn gone wrong

skidz

I don't know how old is this, i just got it from a friend. Apparently, the mechanics attempted a high power maintenance turn without chocks in the wheels and emergency brake on. To make matters worse, the airplane was pointed into the hangar. So, they went for a ride...wheeee...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
http://forums.jetcareers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6375&stc=1&d=1219155953
http://forums.jetcareers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6367&stc=1&d=1219155953

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 507
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 484
  • image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 488
  • image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 492
  • image005.jpg
    image005.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 80
  • image006.jpg
    image006.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 493
  • image007.jpg
    image007.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 90
  • image008.jpg
    image008.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 121
  • image009.jpg
    image009.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 495
  • image010.jpg
    image010.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 104
It's from a while back and there was a thread on here about it. In a nutshell the mechanic was cleaning the turbine blades on one of the engines and when she went to spin the engine using the starter, the thrust lever was out of shut off so FADEC started the engine. At that point either the brake failed or was turned off and the plane rotated into two other aircraft.

It's from a while back and there was a thread on here about it. In a nutshell the mechanic was cleaning the turbine blades on one of the engines and when she went to spin the engine using the starter, the thrust lever was out of shut off so FADEC started the engine. At that point either the brake failed or was turned off and the plane rotated into two other aircraft.
Both mechanics performing the comp wash were brand new and had only been there two weeks. They are both still employed and the hangar supervisor and crew chief were fired. I think two airacraft had to be written off. Surreal or Emu should know more about that aspect.

I was thinking maybe the TSA did it while looking for frogs that may have snuck into the landing gear. :sarcasm:

That's about what I had heard as well. I got in there 20 minutes before it happened. Luckily the plane I brought in was spared. Showed up for duty in the next day, and surprise. There is a slight problem with your aircraft. Good times.

This was at BTR. It was the left engine that supposedly spooled up to nearly full power and the aircraft jumped the chocks and ran into the other two aircraft. So I think that the brake was most likely turned off, but I really wouldn't know.

Back