Lost comm scenario

hammerhat

The following radio exchange happened to me the other day, and got me thinking about what was expected of me in a lost comm situation.

Clearance Delivery: "... climb and maintain 2000 expect 6000 10 minutes after departure ..."
Then I taxi to the runway, call the tower and get the following: "... turn heading 123, maintain 2000, cleared for takeoff ..."

Now what if I have radio failure in hard IMC 9 mins after departure still at 2000, do I still climb to 6000? Otherwise is there any significance to the altitude assignment that the tower gave?

In a lot of places you'd hit something if you didn't climb as expected. Are you really going to just stay there forever?

Yes, you would climb to the expected altitude 10 minutes after departure if you com fails. 91.185, it is the highest altitude of what you have been told to expect and cleared to, you would climb higher if the minimum IFR altitude is higher. If the tower gave you an alternate expected altitude, that would trump the expected altitude clearance gave you.

I scanned through the .65 & found a note in section 10-4-4 that says if an IFR two-way radio failure occurs, ATC is based on anticipated actions/recommendations fro the AIM/CFRs/military regulations....doesn't help much huh? Haha.

But since you were issued "expect 6000' 10 minutes after departure", I would expect you to climb after 10 min.

As to why the tower reissued the "maintain 2000": maybe just reiterating the altitude because of traffic upwind, incorrect flight strip marking (maybe clearance didn't write the initial altitude on the strip), or maybe just it is just a habit for that particular controller.

If you have a GA navcom installed (i.e. KX155/165), it's more likely that you just lost that nav function, too.

Or if you're in a single in IMC and in mountainous terrain and you loose all electrical (let's a short in the battery), you've lost nav, comms, your HSI, GPS (if installed). You have a wet compass and a 3 HR flight filed into some of the busiest airspace. Nearest VMC is...you forgot to ask during your WX briefing. This sounds like a stump the chump question, right? Memorial Day 1993. BTDT.

That part of the regs is just a warm fuzzy. Do what you have to do to get safely back on the ground. PIC emergency authority.

Highest of the minimum, expected, or assigned. There is NO time limitation in the reg specifically stated in the reg. I would continue to climb the expected altitude. Also, for a diverse departure/radar departure you can look at the MSA within 25nm of the airport as well. Until you hit an airway it is a good start for a minimum in case of lost comm. Obviously you also have OROCAs, MOCA, and MEAs that you can use to determine the minimum. Bottom line, squawk 7600 and climb!

Back