Looking for some advice

JeepPilot88

Hey guys. New to the forum here. Just looking for some advice, here is my situation:

Im 20. Ive been flying on and off for 4 years. Planning on becoming a professional pilot. I am currently Private and Instrument rated. Recently ive decided that the pilot life is not for me. Ive become very interested in becoming a controller, and am trying to make a plan to achieve this goal. Im just starting my second year of college, working a bachelors degree in Computers.

Now what would you guys do?
-Im considering transferring my college credits to a CTI type school. And finishing up there, leaving with an aviation management/atc degree.

-Or should I finish up my degree, receive a bachelors degree in computers and then apply OTS?

Looking for some ideas? Thanks, Brad.

Hey Brad,

There were some other threads a while back where someone was in the same position. I will try to find them. I found this one...

http://forums.jetcareers.com/air-traffic-control/70798-considering-cti.html

In a nutshell:

Since the off the street (ots) method for being hired as an air traffic controller takes a good 6 months. Go ahead and get an application in with the faa for an atc position. Then while you wait you can continue with school or whatever you decide. The idea behind this is that your moving forward in both directions at once. I don't think going to a cti school at this time is the best option, unless you just want to do it that way. That is what I would do, but there are so many variables to consider.

Does your school offer any aviation courses?

I don't know if that will help or not, but what I would do is go ahead and put your application in online at the ASAP website. I did not notice any open applications, but I have not been following it. I am sure someone can follow up this post and tell you about the Pubnat applications and what is up right now. This is the link to the ASAP site...for what its worth.

https://jobs01.faa.gov/asap/

I feel like this response to your question is kind of scattered, but its just a starting point...

Personally I wouldn't throw all my eggs in one basket...I think the OTS way to get in the FAA is how to go...I wouldn't mess with the money and time involved in a CTI school when the FAA will pick up burger flippers. Also...you are already experienced in aviation as a instrument rated pilot and if you go into ATC you will have that knowledge...I would focus your degree on something away from the aviation industry...business management or something like that where you can use it if you get tired of aviation all together.

I would have to agree with LawnGnome on this one.:D I personally would not do CTI for the sake of being an ATC.

Planning on becoming a professional pilot. I am currently Private and Instrument rated. Recently ive decided that the pilot life is not for me.
Brad, this statement doesnt make much sense. Aside from that, why would you want to go to a cti school when you can get picked up off the street? The only difference is that cti does not have to take 5 weeks of basics training when they start the academy. Both off the street hires, and CTI (as well as military) guys/gals get the same pay. If you are worried about getting a degree so you can get into management then you could continue your degree with an online institution (yes i know this would be a lot of work)

Is there any chance that they will stop hiring OTS in the next couple of years? So that I would be screwed without a CTI education?

Thinking of sticking to a business management degree. I can have an associates in less than a year.

Thanks for the advice!

Are you planning on getting your degree before going into the atc career? Or are you wanting to start pursuing atc right now?

I would at least get your application in and get scheduled to take the atsat...that will let you know where you stand as far as getting hired and what not.

Techflyer is right on the money...if you get in on that app and get scheduled for the atsat, you will be ahead of the game and have much more information to base your future decisions on. Worst case scenario...you still decide to continue with the school route and all you lose is some time. But if you decide to do atc now and don't get your application in...you could be months and months behind the curve.

:laff:Schools for Fools. haha

I'm 20 also, and was pursing a pilot career and decided it wasnt for me. Ive now applied, taken the ATSAT and picked my GEO PREFERENCES. I think going OTS is your best option. College is always there for you later once your CPC.

Just my .02

:laff:Schools for Fools. haha

I'm 20 also, and was pursing a pilot career and decided it wasnt for me. Ive now applied, taken the ATSAT and picked my GEO PREFERENCES. I think going OTS is your best option. College is always there for you later once your CPC.

Just my .02

Agreed again. OTS is quickest and best in your situation.

I'm dropping out of college to do this, but I can always go back and finish that up later. Sometimes a college education can really delay your plans and screw things up.

Back