Looking for Recommendations: Galveston (KGLS)

HeyEng

So looking to do a XC this weekend down to GLS. Any good recommendations on tasty seafood and any "other" info on the airport? Thanks!

I agree. Gaido's is pretty awesome. I flew down for a week in July, and I enjoyed the food everywhere I ate... whatever you pick I'm sure you'll be happy.

GAIDOS - again, this place absolutely rocks. The crab claws alone are worth the trip. I think the Lonestar Flight Museum as at Schoals, not sure if they are still there though. Great airplanes they have.

I just want to stress again - GAIDOS

Anyone else remember an old place down there (not Galveston) called the San Jacinto Inn? It was up on stilts, and had no menu. It was all you could eat Shrimp, oysters, crab legs, etc. They closed it down sometime in the mid-80's - that place also rocked. Hmmm - lunch at the San Jacinto Inn, dinner at Gaido's, then a night of two-stepping at Gilley's. Man, the 70's/early 80's in the Houston metro was awesome!

Cool beans, thanks all!

Looks like the weather might be crap, so might be NEXT weekend. Go figure...

Go to La King's and grab some homemade icecream....it's so so good...and I don't even like sweets. It is in old town galveston by the railroad museum, the building they are in as well as most of those buildings down there survived the 1900 hurricane that wiped out that whole city.

Just a little history, before the hurricane, galveston was bigger than houston and hoping to become the biggest city in Texas...you can see what the hurricane did to those dreams....after the hurricane galveston was so embarrased by what had happened to their city and they were such big rivals with Houston that they did not want to telegram Houston and tell them of the horrific damage and tried to sugarcoat the initial report to Houston.

Again, try La King's out...just google it.

Do they still have the museum/movie theater dedicated to te 1900 hurricane? It was cool in a cheesy kind of way (no disrespect to the deceased). Galveston was the go to vacation roadtrip for my grandparents when the 'rents would dump me off with them a week or two as a kid. That was back when they had sea-a-rama (low budget version of sea world). We'd also go to the lone star flight museum, which was kick ass, catch an imax at moody gardens, maybe go see a show at the outdoor theater at night, try not to get stung by jellyfish along the seawall, wander around the strand, and of course, eat at gaidos at least once.

Sadly, the whole place seemed a lot cooler when I was a kid. It just doesn't quite hold up once you've been to cozumel, st. john, or maui :)

Back