Long Distance Relationship

Toria

Being in the Family Life section seems odd, but the Lav didn't seem appropriate.

Is there any hope that a long distance relationship can work (at all) during the initial "get to know you a bit " phase of a relationship? I am talking about a continent away, not a few states.

Though we knew each other for ten years prior, for the first year of our relationship I was in Iraq and Kris was in TN. We started "dating" just two months before I deployed.

Now, together for 5 years and married for 3!

oh sure! you can use the internet to your best advantage now that there are web cams and skype (free phone usage). It's much easier to carry on with an LDR now than it was 10 years ago.

the hard part, of course, is getting those personal touches/hellos in there because of the spread in distance.

but personally, i really enjoyed being in an LDR for a while because it gave me opportunity to get to know my man from the inside out first.

How is Aussie land? doing ok over there?? :)

Well Oliver and I weren't continents aways but 8hrs felt the same. It was super hard and I honestly don't know how long we could have done it had we not started making plans to move me there butfor a time yes, I think it can work. But honestly, I think the longer it stays a long distance relationship the lower the chances of it working.

true... at some point, talking about the future and progression towards each other has to come into play otherwise you can end up being in limbo land and that can add to confusion or miscommunication down the line.

but still, it's all in how you "see" things and the direction and timing of how everything pans out. doug and I did a good 3 years of LDR with the knowledge that eventually, things would slowly migrate closer...i think it took us 5 years to officially be "live in" partners due to his job specs.

Oh and I definitely agree with Kristie on getting to know them from the inside out. You can be attracted to them but if a long distance relationship works it's definitely not due to the physical relationship.

How is Aussie land? doing ok over there?? :)

My AU business Visa was just approved two days ago. I am still in the US and still working here for a little while longer. The Visa took a long time. I will for sure post a message about the actual move date when it is finally decided. It hasn't been easy being in limbo for so long. Although I just returned from a two week holiday in Europe. We will have a M&G before I leave for down under for sure!

Well Oliver and I weren't continents aways but 8hrs felt the same. It was super hard and I honestly don't know how long we could have done it had we not started making plans to move me there butfor a time yes, I think it can work. But honestly, I think the longer it stays a long distance relationship the lower the chances of it working.

. . .yea, but then you're like super needy and co-dependant!

Being in the Family Life section seems odd, but the Lav didn't seem appropriate.

Is there any hope that a long distance relationship can work (at all) during the initial "get to know you a bit " phase of a relationship? I am talking about a continent away, not a few states.

Of course there is!

I met my wife in Japan, 3 months later I was back in Guam, we were separate for about 3 months, went back to Japan for 6 months, back to Guam for 3 months. We did this during our dating time & when we were married.

Wifey & I have been married for 19 years, presently, she lives in California & I live in Seattle...

Back in 1988 we relied on letters & the telephone to maintain a connection.

Today, with the telephone, cell phone & email, it is much easier....

PM me if you need some support:rawk:

My AU business Visa was just approved two days ago. I am still in the US and still working here for a little while longer. The Visa took a long time. I will for sure post a message about the actual move date when it is finally decided. It hasn't been easy being in limbo for so long. Although I just returned from a two week holiday in Europe. We will have a M&G before I leave for down under for sure!

Oooo! An Aussie, I am sure there is a joke in there about going down:nana2:

I'm doing the LDR thing w/ my gf, right now. She is 9 time zones away, in Georgia (country). I had already tried the LDR thing with my ex-gf in Japan, and that one didn't work out mainly due to the lack of communication. This time, however, I knew more about what to expect, and my current gf is really good at communicating so it's working really nicely. We chat on webcam every day. I may not see her for a few more months, but we knew what to expect before we got in it. What really helps a lot is that she had also done the LDR thing before. :)

Of course there is! Today, with the telephone, cell phone & email, it is much easier....PM me if you need some support:rawk:

Thank you very much! And to everyone else who has answered.

I am not sure where this will go; but, before I got too deeply involved, I wanted to just ask the question. I have had a couple of LDRs before, but during my medical training. That training transforms you into a completely different person. So I was wondering if it was my transition into the responsible adult I am today or the distance itself.

Thank you very much! And to everyone else who has answered.

I am not sure where this will go; but, before I got too deeply involved, I wanted to just ask the question. I have had a couple of LDRs before, but during my medical training. That training transforms you into a completely different person. So I was wondering if it was my transition into the responsible adult I am today or the distance itself.

IDK if male comments are acceptable...
It's true that people change, it's true that they discover independence and pride for their own life during LDR's, and to some point I can understand that training and professional development changes a person towards being more adult and self reliant.
I don't care if my partner is 2 miles or 10.000 miles away, the only thing that changes is physical presence of the other person. Sure you will miss that person, but if you are not sure about how you or that other person may change towards your dissatisfaction is a matter of gut feeling and trust.

We don't tend to stick around long enough anymore for problems, rather we leave or go away to avoid pain. That's what I call the easy way out, and in every single relationship I had, the ladies that went the easy way, proved "non worthy" in the end. A good and open, communicative and caring relationship suffers from distance - but it's participants gain much more strength and trust into each other.

Absolutely. Thank you!

Have a blast in Aussieland! Enjoy the flying, make sure you don't make friends that can stand on their tail or think with it. If it's small and black, step on it. If it ain't crunching - take your foot off it and move your bones.
Other: If it still moves - don't eat it, ohhh, what else, check for spiders in the plane before you get airborne. And yes, Crocodile Dundee is a hoax.

check for spiders in the plane before you get airborne.

That is so true!! It wasn't a spider, it was a snake. I am not generally afraid of snakes, but when you can't identify it and don't know where it went......well.....it was interesting. I landed on an uncontrolled strip and cleared out the plane! Now I don't fly anything with wheels close to the ground!

Thank you!! I think I am up for the adventure of my lifetime in more ways than one!

Back