Logging Sim Time

Murdoughnut

Well sized member
I know the question has been beaten to death, but the interwebs don't seem to give a clear indication.

I did part of my IPC in an AATD with a CFII. He marked the time down in the SEL column in my log-book. I've only ever logged it as simulated instrument and flight simulator time in the past - who is right?

Also - I have 1.4 hours with an appropriately rated CFI in a full Level D 737-800 sim. It's just in my log book as 1.4 flight sim and 0.7 simulated instrument. Should I log it as anything else?

Thanks!

I know the question has been beaten to death, but the interwebs don't seem to give a clear indication.

I did part of my IPC in an AATD with a CFII. He marked the time down in the SEL column in my log-book. I've only ever logged it as simulated instrument and flight simulator time in the past - who is right?

Also - I have 1.4 hours with an appropriately rated CFI in a full Level D 737-800 sim. It's just in my log book as 1.4 flight sim and 0.7 simulated instrument. Should I log it as anything else?

Thanks!
I log mine the same as you do.

I wouldn't include the training device time in your total SEL time.

The 737-800 sim time, was it needed for any kind of currency? Why log it at all?

Here's the bottom line for me. Activity in a AATD (or any device) is not "flight" time. It's even separately reported from flight time on an 8710 (below). So, what you want to generally avoid is including device time in a column you use for flight time.

SEL vs MEL time is interesting. Remember that FAR 61.64 requires that for use toward certificates and ratings, a device "Must represent the category, class, and type (if a type rating is applicable) for the rating sought." So there is a reason to record how the deice is configured. Whether that information belongs in a paper log where you might be using the column to total "flight" time is more of a bookkeeping issue (which goes away with a digital logbook) than a regulatory one.
1611422670209.png

Easy solution is to keep sim time logged as sim and in a sim column. Notes area for anything else regarding it, in the notes section. I tend to like to reserve the flight columns of a logbook, such as category/class, for actual flight time in an aircraft. Avoids any confusion.

I log(ged) my sim time not as TT but as SIM. In my electronic/paper logs it is in for instrument currency or landing currency, but not TT, SEL OR MEL time. FWIW - It was looked over during a few major airline interviews that brought no questions.

Back