Logging PIC time

Midwesterner

I have a question regarding logging PIC time in a Part 91 operation on a Beechjet. I work for a corporate flight department and fly approx 200 hours per year. We alternate flying from the left seat (swap at out stations) so we both share the flying equally. The aircraft requires two pilots to operate and we are both ATP rated as well as type rated on the aircraft. My question is can I log PIC time while the other pilot is flying as long as we agree I am the final authority of the flight? Is there any documentation that I should have to produce to show I am the final authority?

I have currently logged 1100 hrs on the airplane and have logged about 200 as SIC and the rest as PIC. Do you think this would throw any red flags at a major carrier? My plan is to continue logging all time as PIC time and if the carrier does not feel that is correct, they could deduct 1/2 of that PIC time. Thoughts?

Here is where I back up my time logged: FAR Part 61.51 (e) (1)(iii), (2)

(1) (iii) Except for a recreational pilot, is acting as pilot in command of an aircraft on which more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aircraft or the regulations under which the flight is conducted.

(2) An airline transport pilot may log as pilot-in-command time all of the flight time while acting as pilot-in-command of an operation requiring an airline transport certificate.

Here is an excerpt from Fedex pilot qualifications:
"Note
: PIC for this purpose is defined as Captain/Aircraft Commander of record, not simply the sole manipulator of the controls."

Not to get technical...but our SOPs (ISBAO stage 3). Denotes PIC and SIC and also states the PIC must occupy the left seat. Also, the DA assign PIC duties. Kind of like 135. But to be honest, you think a major would find out. Your a typed, current PIC, unless you muddy the waters in the interview.

Like @SFLAX said, I doubt another employer would find out unless you blatantly out yourself at an interview. At our outfit, when flying with two captains, the flying pilot will log PIC and the nonnflying pilot will log SIC.

Technically I guess you could log it like that if one person is assuming responsibility of PIC while the other is manipulating the controls. Probably best in the long run just to log it as PIC and SIC depending on the duties you are serving. I don't think it will make a big difference for you though. Either way it's time, and you have plenty of PIC.

I have a question regarding logging PIC time in a Part 91 operation on a Beechjet. I work for a corporate flight department and fly approx 200 hours per year. We alternate flying from the left seat (swap at out stations) so we both share the flying equally. The aircraft requires two pilots to operate and we are both ATP rated as well as type rated on the aircraft. My question is can I log PIC time while the other pilot is flying as long as we agree I am the final authority of the flight? Is there any documentation that I should have to produce to show I am the final authority?

I have currently logged 1100 hrs on the airplane and have logged about 200 as SIC and the rest as PIC. Do you think this would throw any red flags at a major carrier? My plan is to continue logging all time as PIC time and if the carrier does not feel that is correct, they could deduct 1/2 of that PIC time. Thoughts?

(1) (iii) Except for a recreational pilot, is acting as pilot in command of an aircraft on which more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aircraft or the regulations under which the flight is conducted.

(2) An airline transport pilot may log as pilot-in-command time all of the flight time while acting as pilot-in-command of an operation requiring an airline transport certificate.

"Note
: PIC for this purpose is defined as Captain/Aircraft Commander of record, not simply the sole manipulator of the controls."
Keep in mind that

"what does the FAA count as PIC time for the purpose of meeting FAA qualification and currency requirements?"

is a completely different question than

"what does [insert employer name] count as PIC time for the purpose of meeting its relevant experience requirements?"

The first us answered by FAR 61.51. The second by the company doing the hiring.

But, a bit like @SFLAX, I'm curious about the part of your question about agreement with the other pilot. Are you saying you are part of a two pilot crew in which the roles of who is in command and who is first officer/copilot/SIC is not defined for every flight by flight department records or policy?

The defining of operational control even with in a part 91 department is a key factor in establishing a chain of command and a positive safety cultural. Many 91 places don't have this and so who is in charge in a disagreement?

"Note

If you swap Part 1 PIC authority for alternating trips and flying PIC for alternating legs and you're both captains, you can both get lots of PIC.

Back