Logging night time as a safety pilot

frankgh

Please tell me I have this straight:

C-172 night cross country 4.0hrs:
Left seat PIC, night and cross country 4.0, Sim instrument 3.8
Right seat Safety pilot PIC 3.8, Night and cross country 4.0

Logged correctly?

Close, but you can only log safety pilot PIC in a time when the conditions warrant that. IE, the taxiing and taxeoff of the aircraft wouldn't be done under simulated instrument conditions, so you can't count that time on the ground or in departure until the simulated instrument conditions actually begin. Granted, you could throw the hood on immediately after rotating, but you get my point.

So, in the scenario you referenced, it would be:

Left seat PIC gets 4.0 XC, 4.0 night, 3.8 sim
Safety pilot gets: 3.8 PIC w/ 3.8 being night.

The safety pilot wouldn't actually get XC time because he was not a required crew member during takeoff and landing. See the distinction?

A great way to make it even-steven with a safety pilot friend would be to break it up by legs. For example:

Pilot A flies first leg left seat on a XC from ABC to DEF. He would log 2.0 PIC, 2.0 night, 2.0 XC, and 1.8 sim instrument.
Pilot B as safety pilot would log 1.8 PIC & night.

On the way back home, if you reverse roles you would get:

Pilot B flies second leg from DEF to ABC. He logs 2.0 PIC, 2.0 night, 2.0 XC and 1.8 sim instrument.
Pilot A is safety pilot this time and logs 1.8 PIC and night.

In the end, what you get is:

Pilot A: 3.8 PIC, 3.8 night, 2.0 XC, 1.8 simulated instrument
Pilot B: 3.8 PIC, 3.8 night, 2.0 XC, 1.8 simulated instrument

Comes out equal. Clear as mud?

Actually, that clears it up nicely. I'm building night time and my buddy and I are switching night by night instead of leg by leg. I was square on the PIC and hood time but wanted to make sure the night and XC were legit. Thank You!

[QUOTE="BaronPete, post: 2635225, member: 10484"

Comes out equal. Clear as mud?[/QUOTE]

Both still get 4.0 TT correct?

[QUOTE="BaronPete, post: 2635225, member: 10484"

Comes out equal. Clear as mud?

Both still get 4.0 TT correct?[/QUOTE]

Negative, both would get exactly what I outlined in that summary there. The safety pilot cannot log PIC of any kind when the pilot manipulating the controls is not simulating instrument conditions. So if the first pilot was manipulating the controls for 4.0 hours, but was only under the hood for 3.8, then the safety pilot could ONLY log the time spent in simulated instrument conditions. The whole point of splitting is there is an inherent few tenths of an hour disadvantage to being safety pilot vs pilot actual manipulating controls.

But the flight was 4.0 total so both pilots can accurately log 4.0 total duration of flight? I've got a good handle on the sim instrument and PIC times. I just want to make sure the night and total duration of flight columns are correct. You have me straight on the night time! Thanks Again!

Back