Logging Instrument Flight Time

If a type rating is required, and the pilot has a SIC limitation on his rating, then he cannot log PIC for sole manipulator time. Here's a clip from FAA notice 8000.351 (Procedures for the Second-In-Command Pilot Type Rating). Although it's now expired, it listed a variety of Q&As when the SIC ratings were first announced.

I agree that this order is more in line with regulation than the LOI that I posted. The only quibble is that the answer said "pilot is not qualified as a PIC in the Boeing 737". That itself isn't the important criterion, but rather that the pilot doesn't have the type rating. If he does, then and only then should he be able to log the PIC time. There may be other reasons he isn't qualified to ACT as PIC, but that's not relevant.

As I said, I don't like the interpretation and it seems to contradict the regulation and the order you posted. But there it is.

Nihon: The only difference is that in grayson's example the PIC is a checkairman where in your example the PIC is a regular captain.

Not being a part 121 guy, I guess I don't understand the finer points of having a check airman in the cockpit. But, even if God Himself was the captain, the co-pilot (if he has a SIC limitation) is still not rated as PIC in the airplane and can't log PIC time even if he acts as the sole manipulator until the cows come home. (This is my situation, an I don't see any way I can log PIC until I have the limitation removed from my certificate. I would love to be wrong on this one, so if you see an error in my thinking, please point it out to me.)

Back