living the dream

Eagle

Last Sunday night (easter) at an un-named FBO a older, tired looking captain was snacking on the left over catering. The following conversation took place.

Pilot: Oh… Easter Dinner huh?

Captian:… Yeah I’m living the dream.

Ahh yes. Easter Sunday I was working on my annual recurrent training CD all day on my laptop on a layover in Tampa, flew TPA-DFW-SAN, and enjoyed a beer and nachos all by my lonesome at "Freds Mexican Cantina" in the gaslamp district in SAN.

Oh yeah, it was worth it, but I'm also earning a pretty good living. I think if I earned a lot less, it may not be as worth it, in my opinion.

I had to land in Monroe, LA due to thunderstorms. Ahh. . . Easter and barbeque.

I landed and I wasn't sure what state I was in. "Is this Mississippi? Oh, Lousiana, cool."

I was stuck here at school...of course all of the dining halls are closed so my easter dinner consisted of some Cherrios and Roman Noodles...ahhh college life
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I had to land in Monroe, LA due to thunderstorms. Ahh. . . Easter and barbeque.

I landed and I wasn't sure what state I was in. "Is this Mississippi? Oh, Lousiana, cool."

[/ QUOTE ]

hah! I fly into monroe quite regular....I wouldnt fly into there in IMC though....their equipment is allways fubar, and the controlers are meanies...

[ QUOTE ]
So is it worth it? Or would you two do something else if you could?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am making a )(&*^ load more money on my side line. May give the flying gig a break, not sure will stick it out for a bit though. Not real sure I care one way or the other. Work is work.

I'd rather be flying and eating pizza on easter than doing anything else.

Suppose it's easy to say when I haven't been in the circumstance
wink.gif

I got up early for sunrise service and then I was tired all day....it was worth it, though.

Rather do something else? hummm...lot's of things I'd rather do but none of them are full time, well paying, career type, jobs so guess I'll stay with the current gig. Seriously...it's the best job in the world.

Doug, you get a CD for recurrent? now that's high tech. Great idea....

We have a CD for recurrent! It does all of the "Fleet Common" junk like Jepps, Ops Specs, security, etc... All of the non-aircraft specific stuff. We take a test, it prints a 'completion code' and on the first day of recurrent, you give your instructor your completion code, sign your name and employee number.

It's cool because it's less classroom time and I cranked it out during a layover and the commute flight back to PHX yesterday.

Layover in TPA on Easter, huh? Well, the next time you're stuck here (and don't have recurrent to study for) - drop me a line and I'll buy you a round of Dos Equis.
R2F

Well, let's see, was it strolling on Pensacola Beach? No that was Saturday afternoon. Sunday morning. . . hmm. Oh, yeah, that was dodging t-storms in DFW ending in a cold and rainy Colorado Springs overnight!

It is worth it. Not many can say they love going to work!

By the way, if you're ever in Pensacola, check out the Naval Aviation Museum. It's awesome. We saw the Blue Angels IMAX movie there- way cool.

Eagle, if you give it up for a while, can I keep your seat warm for you while you're gone? Please pretty please?

FlyChicaga - hoping I don't have to pursue a different career for a few years

grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
enjoyed a beer and nachos all by my lonesome at "Freds Mexican Cantina" in the gaslamp district in SAN.

[/ QUOTE ]

No need for flyin' solo like that, Doug; too many JC'ers around these parts for that! If we're not using this site to actually network, we're doing something wrong!

I'm actually in the Dulles, VA area for work for the next several weeks, but otherwise, I'm always up for a Dos Equis or three whenever you or anyone else swings through San Diego--I'm sure Sean's down wit dat, too.

Doug-we have to do the recurrent training too....goosh i hate it- just time consuming and half of it isn't even relevent to what i do!

My Easter started about 5AM in Dayton. We did a Rochester NY turn and then to Columbus OH for the overnight. It was part of my three night tour of Ohio. (Cleveland was before Dayton.)

In the past few months I've worked Thanksgiving (reserve in IAD), Christmas Eve (Cleveland), Christmas (JFK), New Years (Cleveland again), and Valentine's (layover in IAD). On the bright side, I did finish in time to commute home for my wife's birthday and our anniversary (last Tuesday).

Back