Lift tragedy

“Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die.”

126491.jpg

Mel is a winner of an EGOT....pretty decent accomplishment.

Hah! I majored in being a hobbyist, essentially. Easiest way to explain:

The ultimate education for the discerning gentleperson who wishes to have a nodding acquaintance with everything, but mastery (or even let's say a meaningful, modern level of knowledge) of nothing. We're just hell at a cocktail party, though!

Love the St. John's kids. Bring a book to an Annapolis bar. Look like a troubled and misunderstood Jack Kerouac. Pace yourself while drinking. Wait for midshipmen to leave to make curfew. Chase women. Long game.

Don't think we weren't pacing you, Middie. We knew that you knew that we knew you that you knew that you had to be awake at 6am to diagram a nuclear reactor. We just had to stagger in to class to pretend to know wtf Euclid was talking about. Advantage: Johnnie. I also stole one of your hats, as is dictated by our eternal enmity.
I wasn't Academy material but was an observant student of Annapolis nightlife.

Interesting discussion in the comments about the DA-40 and full spin handling characteristics. Also sounds like a student freezing up on the controls isn't outside the realm of possibility.

Not going to speculate more than what's already on the comment section on that thread, but I will point out this piece of information. In about 2006 or 2007, diamond were trying to get the DA40 certified with winglets as part of an upgrade package over the straight DA40. It wouldn't pass the spin certification tests, and it ended up being a giant freaking headache for us (I worked for a diamond dealer at the time). Lots of angry customers and lawsuits.

Not going to speculate more than what's already on the comment section on that thread, but I will point out this piece of information. In about 2006 or 2007, diamond were trying to get the DA40 certified with winglets as part of an upgrade package over the straight DA40. It wouldn't pass the spin certification tests, and it ended up being a giant freaking headache for us (I worked for a diamond dealer at the time). Lots of angry customers and lawsuits.
I owned a 40FP and the only ones ever built after mine were sent to China as spin trainers.
There was an OSB letting you turn a 40FP into a spin trainer. The difference (going by memory here) - only the 40 gal fuel tanks (don't think any 50 gal FPs were ever built), wooden prop instead of chunk'o'metal sensenich, and a canopy mod turning the front hinge into a quick release and installing a couple of hooks to throw it over the tail.
Winglet thing- I do vaguely remember those had an adverse effect in spin recovery testing when coupled with the higher momentum of 50 gal tanks. Rudder was increased around 2006 too if I remember right. That was a part of the 50 gal tanks, but they put it on everything I believe.
Overall the wing aerodynamics and the elevator uplift travel limitinv bushing made the thing pretty spin resistant, but I did put it into a rather interesting secondary stall once - full power, looking sharp, good attitude, no or minimal buffeting (unlike the normal stall on that plane), VS -1500 fps. Chop the power, drop the nose, gently add the power back in, but it was an interesting "huh?"

U.S. President Joe Biden will be briefed later Wednesday by his national security team, spokesperson Jen Psaki said during an interview on MSNBC.

“The message to the people of Haiti is this is a tragic tragedy,”

F it, I give up.

Man, I'm gonna regret this, but "tragedy" doesn't mean "something bad happened". Tragedy is something Euripides (or Aeschylus, or Sophocles) wrote which was meant to harness human sadness to some sense of reason. The whole point of Tragedy (in the you know real definition) is that it's instructive in some way. It is definitely *not* "your kid got hit by a bus, tough luck". I do not understand why it is so difficult for people to use words correctly. This is not a tragedy, it's just some sad poop that happened. Obviously, that sucks, but words mean stuff. Fire away.
Thank you!

I've wanted to say that soooo many times. But sensing I'm already on the pedant watch list, yeah, I didn't want to regret it either. ;)

I think we are debating the traditional definition versus modern definitions acquired through misuse.

Another word that has lost its nuance as its modern definition has overshadowed its original definition is the word "brutalize". Its original definition described becoming brutal not acting brutally.
Hell, in my red neck of bubba-land, we've had trouble with our PRONOUNS for decades already. All the rest'ay'all are johnny come lately.

Your, You're, Yower, Yer.

Don't get my neighbors started on homophones:
To. Too. Two.
There. Their. They're.

As for the whole (hole?) pronoun debate, here's my humble opinion.

Nobody No thing entity meat sack should be allowed to pick its pronoun randomly until it can define what a freaking pronoun is.

This is much akin to my opinion on abstract art. You don't get to do abstract until you know how to draw formally. In fact, if you don't know how to draw formally, you're literally not yet capable of abstracting at all. You're just making random scratches.

Last edited:
Back