Life in Grand Forks

I'm guessing it was more of a house party that TXAviator, DJtoRule, and JaceTheAce hosted a few times and only invited their friends to.

Who knows though.

whiteys = hick bar

cuckoos nest = hick bar

el roco = LOL, hick bar + trailer trash

downunder = trailer trash

sledsters = hick bar

muddy rivers = hick bar

the only one id say is somewhat less hick is buffalo wild wings..and its a restaurant.

I'm confused on what makes a hick bar a hick bar then by your definition. I'll agree the the Roc is pretty bad and so is DownUnder, I just went there for the cheap beer, but Sledsters, Whiteys, Cuckcoos was more of a lax, college bar type.

Maybe you prefer Suite 49 style which I find both boring and annoying. Now a hick bar in my definition is Bucks.

To each his own I guess.

=Jason-

The best way to spend time in GF is to buy a case of beer and sit in your own place and listen to your own music. Of course, that's assuming that you have good music. Or any music at all.

If you live with or have friends who appreciate your type of music, that's all the better. Better yet are friends who appreciate your taste for beer as well.

The bar "scene" when I was there was a joke. Sounds like it changed for a bit. That must have been an interesting experiment. I wish someone had the balls/money/time/smarts to open a cool place while I was in GF. But there weren't any....just ass hillbilly drunk-fests, snowmobile jackets, Chevy truck guys/Olds Alero girls and a major disdain for anyone with any culture.

Beer and music....that will get you through the winter.

edit: If you're a hockey player, it's easy to play as much hockey as you want. One semester I played on 5 teams. As beer league hockey goes, that means beer was consumed at a high rate damn near nightly. DIdn't do too well in school that semester but it was fun as hell. Most of the guys thought it was weird playing hockey with a dude from Texas but we had a damn good time drinking beer and playing hockey. The UND games used to be fun until the tickets got expensive. Even so, if you're a hockey fan, the tickets are worth the money. Even if the Sioux aren't good it's still fun. Of course if you believe that hockey is a Canadian backwoods pastime, it's probably better to keep your money in your pocket; it will buy you a lot of beer at the Down Under.

Just thought i would post about something you will not see in GFK. Right now I'm sitting in my apartment in Minneapolis and what do i hear from outside my window. Three different cab drivers arguing in the street. I don't think any of them even spoke the same language. Don't know if you can even call English a second language for either one of them. Nonetheless it was funny as hell to watch. The best part is when the drunk passengers came to figure out who they were going with. Just classic. :laff:

Ahhhh yes i second beer and hockey

The best way to spend time in GF is to buy a case of beer and sit in your own place and listen to your own music. Of course, that's assuming that you have good music. Or any music at all.

If you live with or have friends who appreciate your type of music, that's all the better. Better yet are friends who appreciate your taste for beer as well.

The bar "scene" when I was there was a joke. Sounds like it changed for a bit. That must have been an interesting experiment. I wish someone had the balls/money/time/smarts to open a cool place while I was in GF. But there weren't any....just ass hillbilly drunk-fests, snowmobile jackets, Chevy truck guys/Olds Alero girls and a major disdain for anyone with any culture.

Beer and music....that will get you through the winter.

Ditto

Myplace
Curthouse
and many other underground gatherings were my way out.

The only thing I liked about Bucks was the sound system till their management changed and completely overdid highs and turned down lows.
I'm big into sound, but not the music that prevails in town.

Here is a GOOD venue in Minneapolis.. just a bit out of the way.
http://www.mythnightclub.com/

HAH I just remembered
Here's another festive for Grand Forks

n29401282_33518424_2690.jpg

However you're gonna have to drive a couple miles North cause GFPD is just as bored.

It's top secret and always will be.

LOL why does a image of 3/4 guys playing something like dungeons and dragons arguing over which airplane is the best everz comes to mind??

I've traveled all over the world since forks and I still think of it as still in the top 10 places to drink but mainly because it was so cheap to do so.

I've traveled all over the world since forks and I still think of it as still in the top 10 places to drink but mainly because it was so cheap to do so.

That's more of a claim to shame than anything else. One of the years Foxcow and I were in GF it had the second-highest binge drinking ranking in the entire country, behind only San Marcos, TX.

I would not be proud if I was a native. The funny thing is, though, my friend who IS a local-type thought it was the funniest thing EvArZ. I guess if you have nothing else to toot your horn then that is something.

LOL why does a image of 3/4 guys playing something like dungeons and dragons arguing over which airplane is the best everz comes to mind??
HAHAHAHAHAHA. OUTSTANDING!!!! And then talking about all the hot chicks in their aviation classes.

I agree booze was so cheap there, or places where you have nothing better to do.

It's not something to boast about, but bargain.

I agree booze was so cheap there, or places where you have nothing better to do.

It's not something to boast about, but a bargain.

hey! north dakota is #1 in drunk driving! INCLUDING washington d/c! so like, #1 out of 51 states!

WOOO!!

When its -40 get a group together and get your picture taken in front of the Chester Fritz sign showing -40. Thats stripped down to your boxers of course. Go bury someones car in snow. Go drinking downtown. Go to wally world at 3am. Cruise the Wash. (washington ave. that is) Um thats all I can think of.

When its -40 get a group together and get your picture taken in front of the Chester Fritz sign showing -40. Thats stripped down to your boxers of course. Go bury someones car in snow. Go drinking downtown. Go to wally world at 3am. Cruise the Wash. (washington ave. that is) Um thats all I can think of.

I think that is temperature that is not likely to seen. -20 at night very likely. Not really any difference between the two. My freshman year it hit the record -44. But it was just that a record.

I'm from Minneapolis and never seen temperatures as cold as GFK. -15 is most i can remember. I'm feeling cold just thinking of that wind!!!

Lol, that reminds me of UPD responding to the car burried behind Brannon hall a while back.
lol, I remember that. It was like a team of 20 people burying their RA-friend's car. He didn't care about it as much as UPD did. The victim was actually cracking up at the effort. The car had completely disappeared! :buck:

Grand Forks has a great bar scene. Cheap drinks, bars that are close to each other, cheap cabs back, blackjack, and a variety of places to go that are different.

Thursday night at 'l Bistro has some pretty chill Jazz and some good deals on Apps. and drinks...and if you get the urge to play darts, you can always take your drink and stumble over to the Tavern. Some of the waitresses at the Tavern aren't bad looking. Oh, and Tuesday's $2 you-call-its at the Tavern is not too bad either.

Back