Life After CrAsH!

It seems to be exceptionally well written to be from a "trucker". Not that there are excellent word-smith truckers out there, but, uh, well, I don't buy it.

For some reason Pee Wee's Big Adventure popped into my head..."Tell em Large Marge sent ya!"

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rHO3wuNHFFc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rHO3wuNHFFc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

FraEEAKY. So, why does this guy need any insight from anybody. Sounds like he did a fine job putting the clues together himself. Sounds just like a ghost story from the campfire!

Read up on some AAL191 ghost stories if you want to freak yourself out a bit...

Oh pshaww! After two years the trucker hasn't done a little digging into Captain Richard I. Brock (IDed in the NTSB report) and what he looked like? Hasn't contacted any family members, former colleagues, etc.? I don't believe it for a second. :banghead:

This is just another variation of a ghost story that has been around since I was a kid in the 70's and probably before. Originally the story was a prom queen who had died in a car wreck, then it was a hitch-hiker, then a trucker - as someone else posted - the story was so popular that it was spoofed in PeeWee's Big Adventure movie.

Oh - also - there's no such thing as ghosts. :rolleyes:

It seems to be exceptionally well written to be from a "trucker". Not that there are excellent word-smith truckers out there, but, uh, well, I don't buy it.

I am not defending the validity of the story, but I must ask you, what does an occupation have to do with one's education or ability to write? As a former trucker myself, I find your remark insulting. Are there dumb truckers out there? There certainly are. Are there intelligent truckers on the road? Absolutley. Are there educated truckers, some with college degrees? Yes, indeed! *shock* **gasp!** I would suggest you locate and read some of the many excellent blogs on the internet produced by truckers. Let's be careful about stereotyping a group of three million people and reducing the average trucker to the image of someone with less intelligence. You are only showing your own ignorance when you do so.

*end rant*

EEK!! AHH i havent heard anything so freaky in a long time, regardless if it's true or not.

And I have to say something about that Pee Wee video...I remember watching that when I was little and it was the #1 most scary thing i have ever witnessed..of course i was little and its not that scary anymore..okeys maybe it is just a little bit...

Robbie

There are a few holes in the writer's story.

1. The story gives me the impression that the gas station is right there at the intersection of routes 7 and 601, but there is absolutely NOTHING at that intersection. The nearest anything is 7 miles east, and it's doubtful that a tractor trailer would pull off there. Check Google Earth - copy-n-paste the following coordinates into the "Fly To" field and see for yourself:

Crash Site:
N39 04.621 W77 52.895

Intersection:
N39 06.963 W77 50.736

2. The story mentions "airline pilot wearing short sleeves". The flight actually originated in Indianapolis and stopped in Columbus before flying on to DC. The plane crashed in December of 1974. All three of these locales are quite frigid in the month of December. If a ghost is going to appear in uniform, would it not be the uniform he was wearing at the time of the crash? I suppose it's POSSIBLE that Captain Brock might've been wearing short sleeves that day, but I rather doubt it.

3. "He smelled like he had bathed in kerosene." Who would actully agree to give a ride to someone who "smelled like he had bathed in kerosene"?

The FULL CRASH REPORT.

2. The story mentions "airline pilot wearing short sleeves". The flight actually originated in Indianapolis and stopped in Columbus before flying on to DC. The plane crashed in December of 1974. All three of these locales are quite frigid in the month of December. If a ghost is going to appear in uniform, would it not be the uniform he was wearing at the time of the crash? I suppose it's POSSIBLE that Captain Brock might've been wearing short sleeves that day, but I rather doubt it.

Bill (my dh, a DL pilot) never wears his long sleeve uniform shirts. Ever. He wears short-sleeve uniform shirts year round, and has ever since his first airline job with Scenic in 1994. The only exception was one 4 day trip in the brutal winter of 1996 when the windchills in the Illinois/Iowa area (where his trip at Eagle took him that week) were about -40. He wore long sleeves that one trip. He has two long sleeve uniform shirts, they were a part of his new-hire Eagle uniform purchased in 1995. They look brand-spanking new, and currently reside in the basement with his Scenic, Eagle & TWA uniforms.

I only wore long-sleeve shirts, even in the heat of summer. I just never liked the short sleeve ones. I preferred to wear long-sleeve & roll them up if needed.

So, the ghost wearing of a length of certain sleeve isn't really a very good indication of whether or not the story is true.......

The location factor I would find much more convincing a factor to dispute it! :)

The intersection in question is at the crest of a ridge. I suppose it makes sense the apparition would appear near the site of the crash. However, I travel that stretch or highway often and I've never seen trucks pulled over there. Nor has there been(in the 20 years I've lived in that county) anything more developed than the parking lot for the Appalachian Trail that passes through there. Still, not a bad ghost story.

Back