Licence Pay - what is it & should it influence where I apply?

jjak01

Hey All,

I am currently studying for my ADX Written and hoping to attend school later this year. While I know I am 9-12 months out from finding a job, I keep seeing Licence Pay mentioned on the pay spreadsheet and in other discussions. What is Licence Pay and should I let it influence where I apply?

Thanks

Short answer: no.
Longer answer: it’s an extremely nice perk to have, but there are so many other things to consider about which major you want to work for (like location, cost of living, work schedules etc) that this should be at the bottom of your list.
Thank you, that makes sense

If you Re new, and/or do not have the dispatch license, stop looking at the pay or the perks..

Get the license, then go to the place you think is the best (2cents Skywest or Envoy) then bust your ass there and stop worrying about the check, it’s about experience.. yes you will have to cut back and that, but once you have gained the experience, many doors will have opened.. if you are willing the embrace the suck for 1-2-3 years leaving current job/gig for school then to a regional to a mid Teir/legacy then it’s worth it

@jjak01 It's a nice perk to have and it increases your pay. As Regional said, get your foot in the door and gain the experience. Move up when the time comes. If the airline you get into does not have LUP you can always work an OT shift (if you get it) to make up for it. Best of luck on the exam and later on getting a position.

I will say this… Dispatching has a bunch of old timers and a bunch of younger people, and nothing between… majors are hiring for retirements and can’t kee up or get ahead. If we have a recession in the US/global you will see retirement packages etc for said near retirement individuals… being a regional like Skywest or Envoy, during the recession sucks but you are learning and getting experience.. once recession is over the airlines would likely snap back like before, which would line you up with 1-2 years experience (similar to most of the first round post Covid hires at the majors).

regional DX isn’t about the money, it’s experience. The pay sucks buts it’s similar to an internship, and countless other side gigs to make some easy extra money if needed.

Short answer: no.
Longer answer: it’s an extremely nice perk to have, but there are so many other things to consider about which major you want to work for (like location, cost of living, work schedules etc) that this should be at the bottom of your list.

I agree these are most important things.. also look for places you can get solid experience from and move on (regionals that feed directly into or are connected to a major). Should be following Location/cost of living.

Also, my 2cents do not just jump ship within 6-7 months to go for similar airlines (don’t get hired at Mesa to jump to Skywest/Republic/Envoy, etc) a few months later. Learn the actual system getting reps on handling diversion, Ops, crew issues, etc.

last, the pay at regionals and the airlines has moved up in the past year or two, as has the cost of living but many of us on this board worked at regions making leasing than $15 an hour. If we could do it then, you can do now and yes inflation sucks but it sucks for everyone jusy have to tighten the budget and pick up an extra day or two or find a side gig. I know people who would do plasma because it was an extra $100+ per week (if they went enough they could pay rent just off the donations that month and it’s all tax fee).

Back