Liberty University's Flight Training Affiliate Program

zVo

Has anyone here have experience utilizing the Liberty University "Flight Training Affiliate" program?

I had recently learned about it and, as someone with a Post-9/11 GI Bill, it sounds like a great way to earn one's ratings. I already have my bachelors degree and qualify for an R-ATP because of my Army military flight training, but the reason it's appealing from a VA standpoint is that your benefits go further because it's associated with an 'Institution of Higher Learning' (i.e. not a vocational school).

The FAA and VA are treating the Flight Training Affiliate program almost like a brick & mortar collegiate aviation program. You're taking classes online and attending one of about two dozen flight schools around the country for your ratings. While I have no interest in completing the degree, successful completion of their online degree program qualifies for an R-ATP.

Anyway, it seems almost too-good-to-be-true due to the flexibility and the fact it uses only a small portion of one's VA benefits.

Anyone have any experience dealing with the FTA program first hand? Good? Bad?

zVo
Did you ever get an answer to this question? I just stumbled upon this program and am also curious (former OH-58D / MH-47G driver).

My roommate was looking at FTA vs the campus option as a Post 9/11 GI bill guy. Congress has been putting a lot of restrictions on the GI bill so there was a concern that the FTA gang wouldn't be able to get their PPL portion of the program funded by VA anymore after August 1 of this year. Looks like Roomie will be doing a stint as a campus student until his PPL is complete before moving back to an FTA location in order to get the VA funding.

Your best bet is to call the school and talk the aviation department and ask them about the ins and outs of the program as well as how new VA GI Bill restrictions will change things.

Thanks for your response. Luckily, I have my PPL already (and Instrument), but want to finish Commercial, CFI/I, ME, MEI. I just got off the phone with Liberty, and it looks like the perfect setup for my situation. I still have an email out to their aviation department to determine how the actual training will be structured with their affiliate.

Back